Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my biggest gripes with the new STi was the tail lights. I HATE 100% clear tail lights as I think they look extremely tacky and boy-racer. And since I've been thinking of trading up for one in the near future, I was trying to come up with a solution, which was to tint the tails red.

Well, looks like someone beat me to it, and I think it looks FANTASTIC......

STOCK:

RED TINTED TAILS:

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I see what you mean; that's quite an improvement over the crystal chandelier school of design tail light style.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you mean; that's quite an improvement over the crystal chandelier school of design tail light style.
Looks a lot more stock with the red tint over the lens. The stock glitzy, glitter ball ones look more aftermarket and out of place. Makes the car appear more "grown up" if you will.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Is it actually legal to tint the rear lights red?
Usually as long as you leave the reverse lights uncovered.

Every STI in the area up here has done this lol. I actually forgot that they don't come that way! Theres a local subaru guy that does vinyl up here. Maybe SOA should take the suggestion and just make them come red stock (but then people would start swapping back to the clear ones lol)

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
heh and soon to come... the black sports tails! jk

this is something that had to be done on the last gen of toyota matrix too.. oddly my girl like the chrome clear type.. she also likes the CRV.. says it's cute. yuck.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
yeah, looks much better. Dan from MachV had his custom painted a while back...finished look is much better than vinyl but think he paid ~$300 for the paint job. Still...vinyl much better than stock :icon_wink:

Here is a pic of it that you can find on the website:

His was the first of the newer STi's that actually made me want to get one.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
There's a local here that's painting taillights for about $40. I'm sending mine out sometimes soon.
Though, I have to be honest. I like the chromies on PSM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts