Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so since I am just getting started with Forester stuff, I thought I would try and contribute.
This may or may not help anyone but if it does, then i'm happy.

So, here we go.
What I did was line up springs from all 3 cars, because I have all 3 sets of springs sitting here to compare.
I own 3 Subarus and have collected a few parts over the last few years.

What I did was set them all up on flat-level concrete and measured the relaxed height of all, as well as the wire diameter for each set.

(1) 2005 STi take off springs 17K total miles:
Front 10-3/8" with a 13.9mm wire diameter
Rear 11-7/16" with a 13.6mm wire diameter

(2) 2005 2.5i Sedan springs 9K total miles:
Front 11-11/16 height with a 13.6mm wire diameter
Rear 12-3/16 height with a 12.9mm wire diameter

(3) 2005 WRX Wagon springs 31K total miles:
Front 11-3/4" height with a 13.9mm wire diameter
Rear 12-9/16" height with a 12.9mm wire diameter

(4) 2005 WRX Sedan springs 22K total miles:
Still mounted to the struts so no free length obtained.
Wire diameter is 13.8mm front and 12.9mm rear

So:
The 2.5i Sedan springs use the smallest wire diameter up front.

The STi springs are the shortest (front and rear)

The WRX Wagon springs are definitely taller in the rear, but the wire diameter is smaller than the STi, yet the wire diameter is the same as the 2.5i Sedan AND the WRX Sedan in the rear.

Here are the pics I took, you can see the WRX Sedan struts in the background.
I used a digital caliper to get wire diameter and a level with a tape measure for the relaxed heights.

Hopefully this helps someone, if not, it helps me out for future reference...
Enjoy.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Yep yep! This would have helped quite a bit but we eventually figured out that the WRX springs are one coil less than STI springs and that's a sure fire way to ID them. The paint marks are a secondary method, since they can disappear with use.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep yep! This would have helped quite a bit but we eventually figured out that the WRX springs are one coil less than STI springs and that's a sure fire way to ID them. The paint marks are a secondary method, since they can disappear with use.
STi REAR springs also use a larger diameter wire than the WRX or Wagon springs far as I can tell from my measurements.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Played w/ the numbers some...

So although the wagon springs are taller, they are by % lower relative to their matching fronts, and also by raw height not as different to their fronts.

So in reality, running wagon springs would result in more severe saggy butt syndrome.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I don't think you can determine how the car would sit by comparing springs side by side out of the car. We cannot assume the steel is the same and will act the same when compressed.

Also, many of the same Impreza model springs have different rates, like 4EAT vs. manual cars.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I'd actually say it's pretty safe to assume the material is the same.

However the number of coils and diameter of steel will factor in; but also consider that the factory springs are likely progressive wind as well, so the change will be hard to make assumptions on.

And w/ that said, I'd say venture to say that by % the STi rears are stiffer relative to the fronts than say the Wagon counterparts, so even more supporting my conclusion.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT MT
64 Posts
awesome thread

Thank you for this thread! I have been so frustrated lately trying to find all of this info. I am trying to lower my 04 XS so it does not look odd with the low profile tires I have for it. Like most people I am trying to figure out the whole butt sag thing while utilizing OEM suspension parts from other subaru models. This info should be converted into a sticky called OEM suspension lowering options or something like it.

Unlike many people I will be lowering just for looks. Therefore, maintaining ride comfort is also important to me. That being the case I have no desire to spend a grand on high performance struts and so on. After all the dust clears I am hoping to answer this question, which years, model and parts (spacers) I need to have a level, stock ride, lowered Forester. Can't wait, because my Forester looks like it's running on 13" rims even though they are 17's. Than:Banane37:ks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts