Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Forester Turbo and the engine and box are showing all of their 130k miles. I also have a 99 STi V5 wagon that I never get to use. The Sti has a full rebuild with forged internals, STi 9 crank etc....and it only has about 10k on the new build. What I am wondering is will everything like the engine, box and ecu swap over or will I need to swap the loom as well. I know a lot of people will say just drive the Impreza, but its a long story and I really prefer the sleeper look of the Forester. I would also want to change all the suspension over too.

Look forward to hearing what can and cannot be done.

Alan

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
A few observations..............may not be totally correct but

MY02 Forester
"Newage" Engine Management i.e. Denso ECU, individual coil packs, Four piece Exhaust (with relevant MAF, A/F sensor and O2 sensor)

Gearbox comes with built on oil pump and oil cooler in base of radiator

MY99 Sti V

"Classic" Engine Management i.e. Jecs ECU, coilpack and ignition leads, Three piece exhaust (only an O2 sensor)

Gearbox will have different ratios and drop down gear ratio
To fit would need rear diff changed as well.

Personally would try and stick with Foresters wiring and sensors and remap to suit.
Would have to check out all engine sensors to compare/locate or swap over. Not sure how the coil packs can be attached, may need rocker covers switched to suit.

A lot of research to do................

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Don, it looks as though it's not as straight forward as I originally thought.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, but do you have pix of the V5 wagon? We don't get them over here in the states and I've always loved them. I was building one until I found out I had a 2nd kid on the way and sold it to buy my XT.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you go sea-scooby. I bought it in 2007 in the UK and brought it home to Ireland. I have only put about 5k on it in that time. It has a nice spec to it and I have listed some of the mods below. I have spoke to one of our local well respected tuners and he says he can do a complete transplant into the Forester. Work should be starting in a couple of weeks.

JDM STI9 nitrided Crank & Rods
ACL Race Bearings
Mahle PowerPak Pistons
Excedy Clutch
New MAF
Carl Davey inlet manifold & header tank insulator spacers
Ecutek remap
Full Hayward and Scott de-cat system – down pipe, center and back box.
Ported standard Headers – By Harvey Smith
Uprated Walbro fuel pump.
Apexi Induction Kit
OEM Re-circ Dump Valve
Oil vapour catch tank
New age Brembos and braided hoses.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
That is pretty sweet! If you swap the goods over to the Forester will you be doing the seats too? I think those STi V5 seats are soem of the most supportive Subaru ever made!

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, seats, suspension, engine etc.... all that can be, will be transferred over. It will be remapped afterwards and should be 330/330 with some tweaking. Its running 301 bhp at standard boost at the moment, so a bigger Turbo and maybe injectors should see that easily.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
seats are a straight swap I have the same ones in mine and they'll also put you a bit closer to the ground. Your passenger seat will be a lot lower!

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, selling it would be the best option but, the second hand car market is fupped in Ireland. I have seen V5 type R's going for €5k and less. It would cost me at least that to get the engine build that would come close to what is in the wagon. On top of all that, I am getting the interior, suspension, gearbox/diffs and hopefully the steering rack also. So to buy all theseparts and have them fitted would cost a hell of a lot more than I would get from selling the car. Everything else that is left on the wagon that I don't need would be sold afterwards. That's the plan so far.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Yeah, a shame to see such a straight looking wagon biting the dust but the plan sounds GREAT. Personally I can't wait to see the results. Good luck Hugh!

Mike

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
I agree, selling it would be the best option but, the second hand car market is fupped in Ireland. I have seen V5 type R's going for €5k and less. It would cost me at least that to get the engine build that would come close to what is in the wagon. On top of all that, I am getting the interior, suspension, gearbox/diffs and hopefully the steering rack also. So to buy all theseparts and have them fitted would cost a hell of a lot more than I would get from selling the car. Everything else that is left on the wagon that I don't need would be sold afterwards. That's the plan so far.
That's crazy to hear how cheap they go for. If that V5 wagon was in the US, I bet it would sell for $10-$12,000 USD, maybe even more.

If you do use the wagon as a donor, you could get a good deal of money for the stock wings, hood, skirts, bumpers, tailights and even roof rails. All that stuff is in high demand in the US. Even the doors are worth a good deal since they are moldless. The USDM door have ugly black molding down the middle.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let the transplant begin!!!!

The car is going in on Thursday for its triple bypass heart surgery. Can't wait to get it back. I'll take some pics as the work is done and post them up here. After the install is done it will be going for a remap by Bob Rawle the next time he is in Ireland.

G

·
I recognise that car, did it used to belong to mystery machine? or better known as Smiles on here..
Shame to break it though but will make a good forester..

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, it used to be Steves car. It has never given any problems and its a shame to see it not get used, so its time for a new body for the STi.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
When you swap the seats try to use the subframe from the Forester. They are a little higher and put you in a much better driving position. It is a bit of a faff but worth it.

Mark

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you swap the seats try to use the subframe from the Forester. They are a little higher and put you in a much better driving position. It is a bit of a faff but worth it.

Mark

Cheers for that mark, I'll have a look at both subframes and see which one suits me best.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's crazy to hear how cheap they go for. If that V5 wagon was in the US, I bet it would sell for $10-$12,000 USD, maybe even more.

If you do use the wagon as a donor, you could get a good deal of money for the stock wings, hood, skirts, bumpers, tailights and even roof rails. All that stuff is in high demand in the US. Even the doors are worth a good deal since they are moldless. The USDM door have ugly black molding down the middle.
The plan is hopefully to sell the car as a rolling chassis for someone, if not it will be broken and all parts sold.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Turbo
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It fits!!!! just about.

Well, after using a big shoe horn the engine was fitted. I had to use the original Forester manifold, which was repainted, as I wanted to retain my cruise control, and obviously I kept the original ecu. The original V5 top mount intercooler was binned for a 2006 new age Forester STi item as shown in a trial fit in the pic. A few bits to tidy it up and then for mapping in about 3 weeks time will have it up and running.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Good job fella

what headers you using? Or are they already ported and wrapped?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts