Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i am in the process of selecting a replacement for my 05 STI. i love the power, handling and brakes, but the suspension is tiring me out and i would like some amenities. also, a daily mega commute where the car stays below 35mph is no way to treat the STI.

i'm trying to decide between the Forester XT or Legacy GT. from what i gather, the 06 FXT is more tame and not as quick or upgradeable as the 04 and 05 FXT. is that correct? i definitely want to do some power/suspension upgrades and if the 06 FXT is not as upgradeable as the older ones, i will probably go to the LGT, which i feel has more power and better suspension out of the box. right now, the prices are about equal for both LGT and FXT. any opinions out there about which way to go?

TIA!:Banane01:

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
If I could of gotten a LGT 5MT for what I paid for my FXT I would of...As it was they were about $4K more.

Either way you can't go wrong. At least with teh FXT most of your old mods (if you had any) would swap right over. LGT would def be a more refined ride

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice! right now, the i can get the LGT or FXT for around 25-26K (Limited, i'm dying for a sunroof). with the 06 FXT, i'm worried about the newer gearing and resulting slower acceleration.

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
FWIW: .1 second = 1 car length at the end of the 1/4 mile....so its not all that different.

If its really an issue, get a DP and a tune (AP or EcuTEK).

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
lhsa said:
thanks for the advice! right now, the i can get the LGT or FXT for around 25-26K (Limited, i'm dying for a sunroof). with the 06 FXT, i'm worried about the newer gearing and resulting slower acceleration.
Actually, the gearing is 4.11 which is better on the highway and for top speed vs. the 4.44 gearing in the older model. You could always swap in an '06 STi 6spd...that's what I would love to do but will probably go w/ an AndrewTech setup.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actually prefer 5 speed over 6, except for the added robustness of the 6 speed. 6 speed needs an additional shift to get to 60 and the 1/4.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
I was buying another car right now, I would be at the dealership looking at the LGT in silver with black leather!

I saw another one yesterday that had a set of CE28 Volks (18's) sitting on some sort of suspension with an aftermarket exhaust on it. SOLD!

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
have you changed the tires on your sti? I just put my 17's back on the other day and I have a set of the RE090 tires on them. I sware i went from riding plush on my stock wheels (w/ megan coilovers) to riding on bricks! The car does not bounce so much now but I sware you would know if you rode over a penny! Those tires are great for cornering and what not but man, they are firm! I think that is what makes the ride in the STI so uncomfortable. I have ridden in a guys sti that works for me and while he still has the stock suspension he has changed is tires and it feels totally different.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right now i'm riding on my winter wheelset with blizzak lm-22s. the roads i travel are not very smooth and you can feel every bump, wave, pothole, etc. i do have to say that the steering precision will be missed. also, i used to have a GTI 337 and with the 18" BBS rims and poorly set up suspension, the car was brutal compared to the STI.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Forester XT with a WRX wagon suspension and a STi steering rack ;)

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
If I could do it all over again, I think I'd take the LGT sedan/wagon over the Forester.

However, my Forester kicks a lot of tail, so, it's not really an issue.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
If you can get the LGT for the same price as the FXT... I'd definitely get the LGT... all around better car out of the box... and just as easy to mod...

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
lhsa said:
from what i gather, the 06 FXT is more tame and not as quick or upgradeable as the 04 and 05 FXT. is that correct?
I don't believe so. With some rather simple mods (no turbo swap or anything) one can run mid 13s.

Take The Head's 06 FXT for example. He pulled 1.898 60', [email protected] down the quarter mile with these mods:

Downpipe
Exhaust
Upgraded Intercooler
Short shifter

IMO, people tends to dislike new models just because. Not many nice things were said about the new STi, 350Z, ect when they first came out.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, those are some great numbers. quite similar to many stis.:Banane36:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd take a FXT over the LGT UNLESS you go for the 32K Legacy GT Spec B. That's the only legacy I'd take over an FXT... ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i've made my decision to go LGT. i test drove the FXT today and it just seems too chintzy inside for the same price as the LGT. also, the LGT felt much better out of the box, in case i don't get to modding for a while. i appreciate everyone's comments and it will be good to stay in the scooby family!

as for the specB, its not worth 5-6K over a regular LGT LTD. i don't like the wheels, i would need to buy winter tires, the GPS is so-so with no dvd movie capability and the other bits can be had for far less with aftermarket mods.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm just curious why you didn't check out the Outback XT. Include that in the three and that would be my choice. I'm sure you'll be pleased either way.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
lhsa said:
i think i've made my decision to go LGT. i test drove the FXT today and it just seems too chintzy inside for the same price as the LGT.
I agree, the FXT is a notch down from the LGT when it comes to fit & finish. I got the speed and my family gets the roomy interior so the FXT is perfect for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts