Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a set of STi take off struts and springs. Am I going to have to get a set of rear camber(?) bolts or anything else? TIA

Ben

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
You will be okay without rear camber bolts but if you want adjustability it is a cheap mod.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I am going to install my sti take-offs tonight, and I did order a set of H&R camber bolts that I will add next week sometime. My experience with my previous WRX and Fxt is that lowering the car, especially to the point an Sti suspension will, does cause the rear camber to end-up around -2.0 give or take .3 degrees. Its best to keep the camber around -1.0 to -1.5 to keep the tire wear down, so I always pay my $30-40 and I am done with it. As tre36 said though, it won't hurt for a while, and some folks never use them.

If you do install the camber bolts, its best to run them at their extreme lobe setting to avoid having them slip on you. This seems to happen to folks who try running them at intermediate settings. Ihave used them on several occasions and never had the problem.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
I am going to install a set of STi take off struts and springs. Am I going to have to get a set of rear camber(?) bolts or anything else? TIA

Ben
The camber bolts are cheap and a good idea to put in when you mount your struts. Not that you need them but the bolts are already out... So why not throw in the camber bolts..?

Since you've got the struts out you could do a set of adjustable strut top mounts. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Did you get your Sti suspension installed Ben? If so how does it ride? I got mine installed today and have some feedback but am interested in your perspective.

Jeff

·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet. Weekends are way too busy for me to get anything done. At this point I'm looking at Friday at the earliest. :( What are your first impressions?

Ben

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I had previously run the Tein H-techs for the WRX/WRX wagon on stock Fxt struts with a small amount of bump-stop trimmed-off. It looked great, but the ride was extremely rigid as the strut was simply too far into its stroke to provide any decent amount of travel. This is not the route I would recommend to anyone.

The Sti struts with the JDM Pinks and group N tops feel very firm, but also afford some decent damping characteristics. I have not had an opportunity to test it on any curvy roads yet, but the impression is that it is going to provide very flat handling. Braking from speed, there is no discernable front end dive whatsoever. I have not yet re-installed an Sti Rsb, and I am running on my stock Fxt rims and tires until I can get back to Missouri get my Sti rims and tires on. This will keep me from getting a good feel for the true performance potential until these items have been installed.

As far as the bad goes, the mix of the Sti suspension and the fat and flexy Fxt stock tires causes the ride to be a bit jumpy. Its not really too bad, but as others have said running flexy tires on a firm sport suspension is not the best combination. The drop looks great and is not droopy in the rear at all but instead very even. Overall it is 100% better than the old Tein H-tech solution I had before simply because its a matched, engineered factory solution that affords the proper damper travel and damping rates for the springs. I will try and get some pics out sometime soon.

One thing I do love about changing out the subaru suspension with an entire Sti strut solution is the ease of the change-out, and the minimal amount of time it takes to perform the job. I did front and rear in 2hr and 15 minutes. Gotta love how easy Subys are to work on!!!

Let me know how yours works out!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I agree with the others who recommend swapping out the camber bolts when you do the install. You'll need to get realigned when you swap them later.

-2 camber isn't really going to cause tire wear as much as a toed in or out setting. What it will do is make it harder to get rotation out of the rear, the reason why most stock Forester owners go to an STi rear swaybar.

It's your personal preference but it makes sense to take the cheap alignment fix rather than chase it with progressively larger rear swaybars.

·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the camber bolts earlier today. I'm going to wait for them to show up and do the RSB, aluminum lateral links, and the struts all at the same time. I may wait until spring though. It's starting to get cold already. Snow will be here before you know it.

Ben

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
I may wait until spring though. It's starting to get cold already. Snow will be here before you know it.
Ben
Today temp:

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
I ordered the camber bolts earlier today. I'm going to wait for them to show up and do the RSB, aluminum lateral links, and the struts all at the same time. I may wait until spring though. It's starting to get cold already. Snow will be here before you know it.

Ben
That will also give you more time to pick up more mods and do it all at once. :icon_wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts