Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT R.I.P. :'( A/T
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
O ok nice man. Thanks for the help. Btw, your foz looks clean. I plan to get 18 x 8.5 rotas eventually. Do you think the negative camber in the rear will lower the life of the tires that much? Also, my tires are rotated regularly.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
I was told that the negative camber wont hurt the tires very much if at all by a very rebutable suspension shop that did my alignment and i have had no wear yet at all. I run no spacers and no camber adjustment in the rear as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was told that the negative camber wont hurt the tires very much if at all by a very rebutable suspension shop that did my alignment and i have had no wear yet at all. I run no spacers and no camber adjustment in the rear as well.
Kind of a dumb question but you are saying you don't have any negative camber in the rear? Thanks for your patience Nate and Turbobud. You have been very helpful.

·
Registered
2009 09 FXT limited 4EAT 4eat
98 Posts
Yes, I do have negative camber -1.4. but no uneven wear.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
me too i have about -1.4 in the rear and zero in the front. The most important thing is making sure there is no toe because that will be negative for the handling and tire wear. A little negativde camber wont hurt anything it actually helps you more in the corners as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Awesome thanks! I'm getting centric premium rotors and street performance stoptech brake pads put on the front sometime next week because mine are warped. This is what is setting me back on getting on the suspension taken care of other than making sure I get all the info I can get with this mod.

·
Registered
10 FXT 4EAT
27 Posts
I hear you 23. I've read RAPTR's thread a hundred times and want to do it. But I have some concerns. My biggest worry is I've read about upper control arm issues. Something about how STi and WRX have a bent one and the SH is straight. This causes some sort of contact from the strut when there is weight in the SH. (maybe the spacers help here?)

I'm not completely clear on what all that means, but I'm sure somebody here can enlighten us. I would love to see some pics between the two different upper control arms or to see how close the strut comes to touching anything on the underside of the SH.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You don't have to put saggy butt spacers, but it will level out the look. I have 1/4 " in the rear the set level.

Yes 1" spacers do help with weight in the rear. When fully loaded for week long road trip the rear would rub with out spacers. Keep checking the for sale section for used.

I have no rubbing of any sort. I have stock size tires.
Maybe with a wider tire or some other wheel you could get rubbing.

·
Registered
10 FXT 4EAT
27 Posts
turbobud, I wasn't referring to tire rub. this is what I was saw in another post:

"wrx/sti take off will work, BUT, and I mean BUT, your upper control arm will be way, way, way to close to the body. The wrx/sti have a bent upper control arm and the foresters have a straight one. So once you get to low, the arm hits the underbody. Most speed bumps will make it hit. 2 people in the back seat?? Best of luck, the arm will just be resting on the body. It looks cool, but you lose all functionality."

do you have any problems with this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I hear you 23. I've read RAPTR's thread a hundred times and want to do it. But I have some concerns. My biggest worry is I've read about upper control arm issues. Something about how STi and WRX have a bent one and the SH is straight. This causes some sort of contact from the strut when there is weight in the SH. (maybe the spacers help here?)

I'm not completely clear on what all that means, but I'm sure somebody here can enlighten us. I would love to see some pics between the two different upper control arms or to see how close the strut comes to touching anything on the underside of the SH.

thanks in advance.
I have heard about the upper control arm issues too. Yeah, I would love to see some pics too from someone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok, I see you are talking about the control arms with no 1"spacers on STI struts.

That I can not answer.

With the spacers I can say my control arms do not rub on any part of the fender well or body and do not bottom out on bumps.

·
Registered
10 FXT 4EAT
27 Posts
turbobud,

thanks. Your setup sounds like it answers all my concerns. Do you have a saggy butt spacer? does it go on top of the 1" spacers? and lastly if you don't mind so I can measure and compare, what is the measurement from the ground to bottom of fender lip, front and back? what is the wheel gap? and what wheel/tire combo? Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
98 Posts
STI struts

So from top of arch on fender to ground is 28 ". Tire to fender / wheel gap is 2"

You can see the white spacer on the rear strut in photo.

WRX struts and springs will give you the same ride height as STI with spacers.

WRX = 2" drop
STI = 3" drop
STI with spacers = 2" drop

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4AT
12 Posts
You can see the white spacer on the rear strut in photo.

WRX struts and springs will give you the same ride height as STI with spacers.

WRX = 2" drop
STI = 3" drop
STI with spacers = 2" drop
So you are running 1" spacers front and back with 1/4" spacers ( the white spacer pictured) in the rear?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Correct. sets nice and level.
Use WRX struts if you don't want to modify the STI strut. ( easy to modify )

21 - 40 of 42 Posts