Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT R.I.P. :'( A/T
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced any problem after putting 08+ STi suspension on their SH foresters. I called the dealership to see if they would void the warranty on anything if I installed this suspension. My suspension warranty is up in about 1500 miles so I'm not worried about that part being voided. They said that the cv boots, differentials, or axles could possibly go bad and they would void the warranty if that happened. I asked how likely would those things go bad and he said about a 1% chance but he was just telling me that it is possible. I asked how much it would cost to fix the differentials if they went bad and he said about $2500 :huh: I plan to put 2010 STi suspension that's sitting in my garage on my '10 fxt but since I don't make very money I need to take things into account.
So has anyone experienced problems with their car since the swap? I have heard from one that it hasn't, but that's one out of many who have done it. I would love the drop but if things are going fail then it is not worth it.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
2010 STi suspension bolts up to an SH? That was not the case since 2004, didn't know that changed.

Stan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2008+ sti suspension bolts right up but you do have to modify the front struts a little bit. I'm following RAPTR's thread to modify the suspension. Can anyone help me out here please?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
155 Posts
I had lowered suspension in my old Foz (STi rear/ Bilstein fronts) for almost 50,000kms then went to coilovers and new owner had it since with not problems to date. Only issue was the front swaybar endlinks broke which were easily replaced. No other problems at all. Dealers will say those kinds of things to cover their backside.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
no problem here i run 2012 sti takeoffs now for about 5k miles and its awsome you wont regret it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! It is kind of a stupid question but would the sway bar fall off if the endlinks break? Also, dazzz, I agree about them having to cover their backside. One of the service managers is a buddy of mine and I talked to him and he said he was just telling me possible things that could occur to cover him.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
no the sway bar wont fall off if the endlinks break it is still attached to the frame were the bushings are.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 5MT
232 Posts
Differentials? I really doubt that. A change in the angle from the diff to the hub could eventually wear out the CV joint, but if you remove the subframe spacers (I'm assuming newer Foresters have those too) then you should mostly correct that angle.

Everything listed that could wear out because of a change in suspension is worst-case scenario - you'd really be looking at maybe having to replace axles slightly sooner than normal, but I doubt anything would happen to your diffs.

Also - buying used differentials is much cheaper than having one fixed by a dealership and they're quite commonly available from partouts, junkyards, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Differentials? I really doubt that. A change in the angle from the diff to the hub could eventually wear out the CV joint, but if you remove the subframe spacers (I'm assuming newer Foresters have those too) then you should mostly correct that angle.

Everything listed that could wear out because of a change in suspension is worst-case scenario - you'd really be looking at maybe having to replace axles slightly sooner than normal, but I doubt anything would happen to your diffs.

Also - buying used differentials is much cheaper than having one fixed by a dealership and they're quite commonly available from partouts, junkyards, etc.
He was going beyond what can possibly happen because it's their job to think of every way possible mods can affect our cars. I'm not too familiar with subframe spacers and I'm not sure if SH owners are removing those with this suspension mod. Can you please explain?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still figuring out if I want to do it. Need to do more research on possible negative effects from this mod.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
You have to go in knowing anytime you do any kind of height change or aggresive mod to the car you will eventually wear out parts faster. There is a price to pay for better handling and better looks. Also more chance for bottoming out and scraping. I personally never rub or scrape but it could happen and have had no ill affects thus far but if something breaks i am willing to take the blame and fix it out of my pocket. But i have pretty much thrown the warrany away the day i bought it. You unfortunatly have to pay to play.

·
Registered
2011 Forester xt Auto
46 Posts
I installed 09 STI springs, struts and sways on mine about 3000 miles ago and I love it. No problems at all. Handles way better and looks great. Thanks RAPTR for all your help.

·
Registered
2009 09 FXT limited 4EAT 4eat
98 Posts
I have been running 08 STI struts and springs for about two years now. no problems. Make sure you get a alinement done

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't i need to get a camber bolt kit or aftermarket control arms like cusco? I did more reading and people are saying I will need either one of these mods along with the sti suspension swap. What do you think of this? Also I'm worried about going through more tires because of the rear camber of -2 after the swap. If I did the 08+ wrx suspension swap will I have to worry about negative rear camber?

·
Registered
98 Posts
No camber bolt needed or control arms. I have about 24K miles on my tires and no uneven wear. I also have front and rear sways, strut tower brace, H brace. Car handles very nice. rotate tires every oil change. Go for it !

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I notice that you have subtle spacers. Do you have less negative camber in the rear because of the spacers? Also what size wheels and tires are you running?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes spacers help with the negative camber but not that much -1.4.
I have spacers because I take the Foz on road trips and get out on Utah dirt roads. My wheels are Enkie PFO 1's 17x8 45 offset with stock tires.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts