Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
This past weekend I finally got the full USDM STi suspension installed on the XT. Previously I had the STi springs on stock XT struts.

Moving to the STi struts did not lower the car any more than just using the Sti springs. I have heard a ton of people say it drops it more than just running the STi springs on the stock XT struts, but this simply isn't the case... It's at about the perfect drop imho... about 3" lower than stock... any lower and I wouldn't like it... I actually got rid of a set of JDM Forester STi suspension because I do like it lower than stock, which the Forester STi suspension just won't do... :(

The handling is much improved... the increased dampening of the STi struts really helps keep the car much flatter in turns...

The only downside is ride quality, which many of you might have heard about...

The STi strut dampening is too stiff for the stock STi springs, so you bounce... it's not all the time, but more than it should be... it does the same thing when it's on an STi though... I will probably be swapping springs to something a bit stiffer with as minimal lowering as possible...

I'll live with the bounce for now... it does make me wonder how it never really bothered me in the STi, because it's definately noticeable...

If you can pick up a STi suspension for fairly cheap, I'd recommend it! :D

On a side note, I think I set my own personal record... I did the whole swap in about an hour and a half... and I've done plenty of suspension swaps... ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sirwilliam said:
Don't worry it should settle a little...just give it time.
these were complete takeoffs, so settling should have already finished... I never had to compress the springs since the whole thing was already assembled... when I first put it in it was about an inch or maybe a bit more higher than before, but after my first drive it tucked in right where it was... I don't see it really getting any lower...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sirwilliam said:
I am confused w/ this post...are you installing the FSTi struts and springs or WRXSTI?
USDM STi Struts, springs, and tops...

Previously had USDM STi springs on the stock XT struts

Briefly owned a set of FSTi full takeoffs that were never installed because i saw that it was only a teeny tiny drop from stock... I wanted lower, so I sold them...

hope this clears things up... ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sirwilliam said:
You caught me before I changed my post...I am confused. Were you running USDM WRX STi springs on FXT struts before and now you installed the take offs or were you running FSTi springs on FXT struts?...just trying to clarify.
too slow... read my last post above... ;)

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
So, comparitively speaking how much different is the Sti spring and strut combo than the Sti spring and stock Xt strut combo. I am running the Tein H-Techs for WRX on my Fxt struts, and have considered buying a set of sti struts, but wondered if the difference would be worth it without going to a much stiffer spring rate (the H-Techs spring rate for WRX are the same as USDM Sti). I am still considering going to the Koni option later on, but the Sti inverteds are beefy HD units for sure.... .

Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N10S said:
So, comparitively speaking how much different is the Sti spring and strut combo than the Sti spring and stock Xt strut combo. I am running the Tein H-Techs for WRX on my Fxt struts, and have considered buying a set of sti struts, but wondered if the difference would be worth it without going to a much stiffer spring rate (the H-Techs spring rate for WRX are the same as USDM Sti). I am still considering going to the Koni option later on, but the Sti inverteds are beefy HD units for sure.... .

Jeff
They are definately an upgrade, but I would recommend getting a bit stiffer springs...

The car doesn't pitch or roll near as much in turns... I upgraded basically for the fact that with the extreme drop on the stock struts I figured it was only a matter of time before the XT struts went south... I've been running them for a bit over 10k miles...

maybe you could sell the tiens and get some new springs...

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Yeah...the stock struts are not a great long-term solution with sti-type springs. I find that even with cutting the bump-stops a little, bigger bumps are putting me on the stops, and thats not real user friendly. I just wasn't sure if my current scenario would be a good trade-off for the bouncieness of the USDM Sti set-up. Sounds like the change would definitely be worthwhile if I upgraded the springs to the JDM pinks or the critical racing Sti springs which are similar to the Pinks sring rate-wise.

The JDM Fsti assemblies are certainly a nice engineered oem solution, but I am like you and want a bit lower ride height.

Thanks for the info!

Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
N10S said:
Yeah...the stock struts are not a great long-term solution with sti-type springs. I find that even with cutting the bump-stops a little, bigger bumps are putting me on the stops, and thats not real user friendly. I just wasn't sure if my current scenario would be a good trade-off for the bouncieness of the USDM Sti set-up. Sounds like the change would definitely be worthwhile if I upgraded the springs to the JDM pinks or the critical racing Sti springs which are similar to the Pinks sring rate-wise.

The JDM Fsti assemblies are certainly a nice engineered oem solution, but I am like you and want a bit lower ride height.

Thanks for the info!

Jeff
No problem...

I am looking at the espilir GT springs for the STi... similar rates to the STi Pinks (a tad stiffer actually), and minimal drop... plus a friend is selling them to me... ;)

I just hate to have to pull them out again to do the install... :lol:

and Pics look about the same as my old ones in the black forester pic thread... on the old site... ;) first ones in the thread... :D Only difference is now I have 00-01 RS wheels instead of the baja turbo wheels... the baja wheels looked better, but at 6.5" wide, i traded them for the RS wheels... 7>6.5... :)

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Sounds like a plan on those espilir springs! I know what you mean about the install and re-install..... . I just keep reminding myself of the painful strut replacements I have done on VW's in the past, and having to compress the springs in the limited space of the wheelwell to get the strut assemblies out of the car on the drivers side, and doing the same plus having to drop the subframe on the passenger side to clear the axle. Man the Subies are a dream by comparison!!

Anyway its still work and a hassle regardless so I am with you on that one!

Any new pics of the car with the new set-up and the RS wheels?

Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
N10S said:
Sounds like a plan on those espilir springs! I know what you mean about the install and re-install..... . I just keep reminding myself of the painful strut replacements I have done on VW's in the past, and having to compress the springs in the limited space of the wheelwell to get the strut assemblies out of the car on the drivers side, and doing the same plus having to drop the subframe on the passenger side to clear the axle. Man the Subies are a dream by comparison!!

Anyway its still work and a hassle regardless so I am with you on that one!

Any new pics of the car with the new set-up and the RS wheels?

Jeff
I'll try to get some this weekend... I really need to paint the wheel though... I just don't dig silver wheels on a java black XT... :(

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
DanzBorin said:
No problem...

I am looking at the espilir GT springs for the STi... similar rates to the STi Pinks (a tad stiffer actually), and minimal drop... plus a friend is selling them to me... ;)

I just hate to have to pull them out again to do the install... :lol:

and Pics look about the same as my old ones in the black forester pic thread... on the old site... ;) first ones in the thread... :D Only difference is now I have 00-01 RS wheels instead of the baja turbo wheels... the baja wheels looked better, but at 6.5" wide, i traded them for the RS wheels... 7>6.5... :)
You mentioned that you don't want it any lower. The Espilir GT springs will lower the car another inch or a tad more. RoundtheBend has it on his FXT. I have seen it in person and it is low! He scrapes just about anything and does three wheelies on driveways.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tre36 said:
You mentioned that you don't want it any lower. The Espilir GT springs will lower the car another inch or a tad more. RoundtheBend has it on his FXT. I have seen it in person and it is low! He scrapes just about anything and does three wheelies on driveways.
i've seen about the same drop as STi pinks out of the GT... you sure he doesn't have the espilir ASD springs?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
DanzBorin said:
i've seen about the same drop as STi pinks out of the GT... you sure he doesn't have the espilir ASD springs?
Positive. He got the GT springs. I have his box. I am on Swift springs and lowered 3.5"/3" F/R and not as low as his Foz. I can ask him for pics.

R

·
0 Posts
tre36 said:
Positive. He got the GT springs. I have his box. I am on Swift springs and lowered 3.5"/3" F/R and not as low as his Foz. I can ask him for pics.
Well, if you guys are going to talk about me, someone should warn me. ;)

Duc is right, Espelir GT springs for '04 WRX/'04 STi struts. Doesn't scrape on everything but I do pull the inside wheel up turning into my driveway.

Good god this board is slow.

-Erik

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that is also on much smaller tires (diameter wise)...

I plan on keeping the stock diameter... it's not really that much lower than mine right now...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts