Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only heard about OEM WRX struts and springs fitting my 98 SF chassis. What about STI OEM struts/springs? Same deal? Or no?

Thanks in advance

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Only the 04 STI will work. Later STIs has different spindle mounts.

As well, 02-07 WRX works.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, folks. Do you have any knowledge as to whether Sti susp. will be lower than WRX?

Thank you
Braxton

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
You must have 04 STi fronts, 04-07 STi rears fit. I'd say they're 1" lower than WRX stuff, but yes, stiffer and better performance. The inverted design of the STi struts is quite a bit better than WRX stuff.

·
Registered
2000 Forester 6MT STI
593 Posts
You must have 04 STi fronts, 04-07 STi rears fit. I'd say they're 1" lower than WRX stuff, but yes, stiffer and better performance. The inverted design of the STi struts is quite a bit better than WRX stuff.
^what he said, roughly an inch lower than the WRX takeoffs
Plus you can send out STI struts to be revalved for better performance later on.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Auto
62 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, I was thinking I want to replace my 02 stuts with a new 04 XT setup from kyb. I was told that stock springs might raise my car and I want to drop it about 1.5 inches. Swift springs were recomended. I was looking to make my car a little more sporty without feeling like a track car

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha, so would you guys recommend WRX Struts or Sti struts if I would be taking my car to the local ski hill, would it be unenjoyably rough on the way up?

·
Registered
2000 Forester 6MT STI
593 Posts
Aha, so would you guys recommend WRX Struts or Sti struts if I would be taking my car to the local ski hill, would it be unenjoyably rough on the way up?
That's a bit subjective, I've ridden in fully caged cars that bounce you out of your seat and I still find it tolerable but it really comes down to what springs you're gonna run with the struts you choose. STIs are a bit harsher but if you're going to the snow a lot, the ground clearance you're gonna lose running full STI takeoffs might make driving through snow a bit more inconvenient but it's up to you.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on, thank you AussiesFoz I think I will be going the WRX route based off of the information I have been given.

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
just fyi im runnin sti take offs and they are great they can be a little harsh over the choppy stuff but other than that they are fine! heres how low they are.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Timbaru that looks great. No custom fabrication or anything like that? It fits right up as if it were built for it?

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 5mt
82 Posts
Timbaru that looks great. No custom fabrication or anything like that? It fits right up as if it were built for it?
yup just like they were meant to be there. only thing that is a little annoying is the brake line bracket that is attached to the OEM strut. basically a little metal tab that is tacked onto the strut that holds the brake line in place. attack one side of the tab with a grinder, jigsaw, or even some metal shears to get the brake line free from the strut. this prevents you having to disconnect the brake line and get fluid everywhere and require bleeding the lines again.

when installing the sti struts, there is a smarter bracket that you can slide the brake line into and just secure with a ziptie. this will make much more sense when youre doing the install.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts