Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. January 2008
2008 Forester XT Sports
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a set of 04’ STi takeoffs for the Foz a while back and am finally getting around to prepping them to go on. This included a full tear-down and re-lubrication to thwart any strut knock which these unique inverted style struts are known for. These procedures are well documented throughout the community, but I snapped some pics while I was performing this work and wanted to share.

First and as a prerequisite; soak the crap out of the locking nut that holds the inverted strut into the strut housing. Many have issues with this nut as it’s open and exposed to the elements and never easy to get removed. I literally propped the struts up and soaked them once every afternoon when I returned home from work, for just over a week.

If you struggle freeing the nut, the only thing keeping you from spinning the internal inverted strut in the housing is the notch at the end of the shaft. It mates with the notch in the strut housing. Push the two together to ensure they stay locked in-order to continue attempting to free the nut. Air/impact gun is your friend here.

Once the nut is free, remove the inverted strut cylinder from the housing. Looks like this:

Lube the inside of the housing with your grease of choice:

Lube the inverted strut up to the point exposed from the housing. Note that most of this grease will ooze out of the housing when you reassemble.

(Note: if you want to cut the bump stops do so prior to the lubing. I choose not to simply because I’ll never run a spring lower then stock on these struts. Although it is good for the resale value of these struts as all the Impreza kiddies want these to run lowered springs on and require the bump stops to be cut.)

Reassemble the inverted strut assembly back into the house. Rotate the strut cylinder ensuring the notch aligns and locks back into place at the bottom of the housing.

Wipe the excess off the end of the shaft and reinstall the bottom nut.

All the grease that squeezes out when reassembled:

Wipe away the excess that squeezed out from the top of the cylinder:

Reassemble the full strut including springs, seats, hats, etc.

And you're done! Install/re-install at your leisure...
Drink beer!

:Banane35:

·
Registered
16' FXT Touring
405 Posts
Good post! STI struts aren't "dead" if they clunk and this fixes the problem 90% of the time. I like to use a small spatula to clean out any dirty grease that is in the struts and also clean the dust seal.

·
Mr. January 2008
2008 Forester XT Sports
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Thanks… This was the first service on this particular set of struts. I don’t know if they were knocking yet but I decided to service them prior to throwing them on the Foz. I was surprised by the lack of grease when I first cracked them open; hardly anything in there. I did wipe out the seal but didn’t remove any original lubricant from the strut body as there wasn’t much there to begin with. Great input with the spatula though!

Hopefully these will get me through knock free until next winter when they may get re-lubed again or replaced with coilovers :icon_wink:

·
Mr. January 2008
2008 Forester XT Sports
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Pictured on these struts are OE Impreza usdm STi front springs (224) and SPT “PINK” Impreza Wagon rear springs (195). The Wagon Pinks are the same spring rate as the stock STi rear springs, yet provide a little extra ride height to counter the infamous FXT saggy butt syndrome :lol:

Here's a pic of Jard's wagon running this setup w/18 rims. Virtually the same setup as me:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=266470&postcount=28

·
worn out cams
05 FXT
899 Posts
Whats the longevity of these struts...? I have a set with about 45-50K on them and the rears are starting to stiffen up. I was planning on replacing them with koni inserts but if they're good for a while I may continue to use them after doing the regreasing.

·
Registered
01 S, 04 XT, 14 XT
261 Posts
A quick note after my rebuild ~ you only need a blob of grease roughly the size of a plum for each strut.

·
Registered
05 forester xt
24 Posts
Picked up a set of 04’ STi takeoffs for the Foz a while back and am finally getting around to prepping them to go on. This included a full tear-down and re-lubrication to thwart any strut knock which these unique inverted style struts are known for. These procedures are well documented throughout the community, but I snapped some pics while I was performing this work and wanted to share.

First and as a prerequisite; soak the crap out of the locking nut that holds the inverted strut into the strut housing. Many have issues with this nut as it’s open and exposed to the elements and never easy to get removed. I literally propped the struts up and soaked them once every afternoon when I returned home from work, for just over a week.

If you struggle freeing the nut, the only thing keeping you from spinning the internal inverted strut in the housing is the notch at the end of the shaft. It mates with the notch in the strut housing. Push the two together to ensure they stay locked in-order to continue attempting to free the nut. Air/impact gun is your friend here.

Once the nut is free, remove the inverted strut cylinder from the housing. Looks like this:

Lube the inside of the housing with your grease of choice:

Lube the inverted strut up to the point exposed from the housing. Note that most of this grease will ooze out of the housing when you reassemble.

(Note: if you want to cut the bump stops do so prior to the lubing. I choose not to simply because I’ll never run a spring lower then stock on these struts. Although it is good for the resale value of these struts as all the Impreza kiddies want these to run lowered springs on and require the bump stops to be cut.)

Reassemble the inverted strut assembly back into the house. Rotate the strut cylinder ensuring the notch aligns and locks back into place at the bottom of the housing.

Wipe the excess off the end of the shaft and reinstall the bottom nut.

All the grease that squeezes out when reassembled:

Wipe away the excess that squeezed out from the top of the cylinder:

Reassemble the full strut including springs, seats, hats, etc.

And you're done! Install/re-install at your leisure...
Drink beer!

:Banane35:
I just finished greasing the struts like the above post and now my car sits almost 2" higher?? Is this normal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts