Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in quite a few posts where people are installing STI steering rack in their rides. Why? Is it a different ratio? Is it more powerfull? really!? :confused:

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I've driven an STI before and it was cool... But all the hard driving I've done was in my RS and X and like the steering ratio on them alot. I mean going hard into a turn I can hold the rear end right on the edge of a drift. I don't think I could drive the same if it turned in quicker. Mainly at high speed...?
Anyone wanna let me drive your STI steering rack equiped hot-rod? :evil:

·
Registered
154 Posts
the only draw back to the STi rack is you will be sacrificing alittle turning radius because of the quicker ratios

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much modification is required to the rack or the vehicle to make everything fit and work?

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
I still have to post details, but 2004 STI racks bolt directly onto 2004-2006 FXT's. The 2005-2006 STI racks will not work. No modifications are needed.

It is a process of removing your two subframe braces, the small metal plate in the center under the rack, removing the cotter pin on the castle nut holding on the tie rod ends and then unbolting the tie rod ends, draining the steering fluid by disconnecting the rubber line on the bottom of the rack, undoing all 3 of the brass brackets that secure the hard lines next to each other (one of them is kinda hidden past the flare connections on the passenger side-removing these brass brackets makes access for the next step easier), unsrew the two flare nuts that attach the rack hard lines going to and from the steering fluid resevior. To undo the flair nuts I was not able to use a flare wrench because there wasn't enough room to get the more precise flare wrench around the nuts. Fortunately open end wrenches worked fine as the nuts were quite loose.

Unscrew the four bolts holding on the rack to the car. As the rack drops be careful not to bend the hard lines. Install is opposite of removal. I'll detail how to make sure the steering is centered when I post more detailed install instructions.

The steering is much improved. It is heavier, more precise, and quicker. Unfortunately the univeral joint from the STI cannot be used because it is shorter than the FXT univeral joint. The FXT univeral joint has a rubber bushing to make things more isolated in the steering wheel. The STI joint does not have this rubber bushing.

While you are putting your rack back on for the love of God install Whiteline polyurethane steering rack bushings. It is really easy to do this if the rack is out.

Total install time if you know what your doing: 2 hours.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Got it off a totalled STI for $325. I've seen them go on e-bay for much less but you've got to keep looking. I know you can pick up a new on for about $450 shipped.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

DOHCammin said:
^thanks justin!

how much did you get your rack for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok real stupid question, will I have to get an alignment if I replace the steering rack? I've got a Rev-labs quick rack that I'm just dying to put in :)

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
cyrexpl said:
Ok real stupid question, will I have to get an alignment if I replace the steering rack? I've got a Rev-labs quick rack that I'm just dying to put in :)
Why are you waiting? Rev-labs are sweet isn't that like 11.5:1.
Yes, you will need an alignment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah it's 11.5:1 and it should be pure handling nirvana. I would have had the rack in a long time ago, but I don't have a garage and the fricken weather in Northern California has not cooperated with me at all.

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cyrexpl,
Where'd you get that rack? No pun intended... ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked it up from Rev-labs about two or three months ago, maybe more, and it’s just been sitting in my garage mocking me. I also have a 03 WRX Rack and a 04 STI rack, both of which I was considering dropping in. That, however, was before I saw the Rev-labs rack. You know how it is; a guy just can't keep his hands off of a nice rack. :)

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cyrexpl said:
You know how it is; a guy just can't keep his hands off of a nice rack. :)
Ya, I know ;) But any way, what'd you pay for it? And how might I be able to get a hold of them???

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Wraith said:
Ya, I know ;) But any way, what'd you pay for it? And how might I be able to get a hold of them???
I got a good deal as I paid about $950 for the rack as it was a used one overhauled by rev-labs. As far as contact goes try emailing Tibor, at [email protected], he is (was?) the main contact at Rev-Labs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Byrdman said:
the only draw back to the STi rack is you will be sacrificing alittle turning radius because of the quicker ratios
Sorry, I don't follow. Do you mean that the STi rack has quicker ratios but a smaller range of movement for the wheel rotation? Why is that?

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
dads_cruizzzer said:
Anyone TRIED to install a 05 rack yet.

I was told that a 05 will work if the crossmember is also replaced.
Should be doable and also a PITA. Not worth it IMHO, but can be done.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2005 FXTi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts