Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my 07 STI steering rack installed and the shop has asked if I want to buy this part. It looks like some kind of lower brace that mounts across the crossmember to stiffen things up. I don't recall anyone mentioning this piece in their "STI rack" install threads. Looking to hear if someone has installed this part, perhaps after the STI rack and if so, did it provide any significant improvement in handling or steering feel. They've asked me to "make an offer" on the part. Not sure what its work but given its OEM not much. Considering an STI sway is worth $50-75, maybe $30-50?? Or not worth installing at all ? Need an answer today, car should be ready to pickup tonight so I need to get back to them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Offer them $15. Otherwise just get one and install it later yourself.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I've not seen that before but would go $25-30 installed happily.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Sport M5
78 Posts
I would get that in a heartbeat, that should keep everything nice and square. I have one on my S14a and it makes a big difference, sort of like a botox brace.

Pete

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
I thought that was a factory piece on 06/07 STi's. The 04/05 recieved the same sorta thing but its more of a plate style. My 05 rack/crossmember has the plate version.

joe r

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Ok here we go. I borrowed this pic from Team Scream. This is his front crossmember/subframe with the factory 04/05 sti front plate that is the same thing you have in your pics above.

The newer 06/07 STi plate/brace that your showing is the newer version & from my understanding is from the factory. Meaning they put it there before it leaves the assembly line.

joe r

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The story behind this one: I bought the STI rack + crossmember from a shop in WA run by a guy called Leo. Some people on the board know who he is. Well he forgot to ship the crossmember along with the rack "somehow" then sold it before I picked it up / noticed it missing at the UPS store a week or so later. He then sent me a 07 WRX crossmember he had sitting in the shop since he said they were the same. Seems the presence of this support is the difference.

Joe, what's interesting is I forwarded the pics to a buddy with an 06 STI. He said his STI has the triangle shaped support, not the bar . Looking at both pieces I'm not sure which I would prefer. One offer a triangle support which increases rigidity but its thin metal . The other only mounts across but its a nice thick piece of metal so probably more rigid. Only way to tell would be to swap the parts out and do a few hot laps with each one and compare.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
That sheet metal plate is likely to be stiffer than the rod. Either one will be fine.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
they mount exactly the same and brace the same spots on the cross member. you could even reuse your forester jack plate but the sti cross member has the studs for the cross bracing so i would use the sti jack plate/brace. either sti piece will work.

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
A buddy here in town has a later year 06 STi & he has the bar on his. I like the plate versus the bar but it all depends on what you want, like or looking for I guess.

Either one should be good.

joe r

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Well poop! I ordered this the other day and didn't even think to check the forester front crossmember. Well to my chagrin I discovered the two outlying tabs are not present on the forester front crossmember so now I have a nice stamped paper weight in my living room. Just thought I would pass this along and offer this up to any one that has a STI front crossmember and wants it for less than what I have in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts