Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy is selling his stock WRX STI springs and I was wondering if those springs would go on the Forester XT with stock shocks, with no problems? If so, how much should they lower the car...I not really looking for much of a drop, I just want some better handling! Let me know as soon as you can...thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
Enlarge my avatar, and presto! What better reference than a visual? :p

WRX STi springs on Forester XT struts:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
68 Posts
SkiPhast said:
Enlarge my avatar, and presto! What better reference than a visual? :p

WRX STi springs on Forester XT struts:
Hi,
This is my first post, and I was wondering the same thing.
How is the ride? is it bouncy at all? does the camber change?

Your ride looks awsome. I'm looking for something similar. What rims are those (Sub-zero)? how about size for tires?
It looks amazing....

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
04XT said:
Hi,
This is my first post, and I was wondering the same thing.
How is the ride? is it bouncy at all? does the camber change?

Your ride looks awsome. I'm looking for something similar. What rims are those (Sub-zero)? how about size for tires?
It looks amazing....

Cheers.
Ride quality is great. I have mentioned in another thread that the damping on the XT struts seems well matched for the STi spring rates. Ride is not bouncy, handles extremely well in combination with my other suspension mods.

Wheels are Subzeros, 245/45/17.

...and thanks for the compliment!

here are better side shots showing wheel gap:
(wifey snuck into this shot)

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
That's great!

I'm looking to switch to STi pinks and keeping the stock struts as well, plus Cobb sway bars.

BTW, that's 1 inch drop, correct?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
That is a 3" drop with Impreza STi springs (stock on STi and black).

The Forester STi springs (pink) will lower it about 1".

·
Registered
398 Posts
toddlamp said:
What year STi springs are they? I have a set of V7 STi springs that I have left over and was wondering if they will fit.
v7 springs are the same...

·
Registered
398 Posts
toddlamp said:
So they'll fit eh?
top hats might be different... you might have to buy a set for 02-03 WRX...

i was just thinking of drop and spring rates, which should be very similar...

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Several people have done STI springs on FXT struts. And several people have blown the FXT struts. It will happen. If the struts aren't dead in 10K miles I'll eat my socks. You just can't increase spring rates 50% and drop the car 3 inches and expect any kind of reasonable strut life. The proper way to do this is to use the STI stuts and springs together. The STI struts and spring takeoffs can be found with low miles for $400 if you shop carefully. By the time you pay for an good alignment a couple of times you will have made up for the cost. Not to mention the superior performance from the get go.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
If you get complete takeoff struts it doesn't matter. If you're just swapping springs '04. Which is my suggestion 'cause you'll need 02-03 top hats to make the V7 springs work. I don't quite agree with the spring swap in and of itself but it is a cheap way to lower your car, just not ideal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
wadejg said:
Several people have done STI springs on FXT struts. And several people have blown the FXT struts. It will happen. If the struts aren't dead in 10K miles I'll eat my socks. You just can't increase spring rates 50% and drop the car 3 inches and expect any kind of reasonable strut life. The proper way to do this is to use the STI stuts and springs together. The STI struts and spring takeoffs can be found with low miles for $400 if you shop carefully. By the time you pay for an good alignment a couple of times you will have made up for the cost. Not to mention the superior performance from the get go.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
eat your socks then... about 12k on the STi springs and still running strong...

I agree, they will go, but so far, so good... ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts