Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently got my hands on some STi springs. I know they will fit my stock 2001 struts (i also got STi top mounts), but I'm fairly sure the struts will be a good bit underdamped. Which isn't necessarly a bad thing as long as it's not excessive.

I could not find the stock spring rates for a 2001 Forester (or any Forester for that matter). I figure if they are somewhat close to WRX spring rates, then the Forester struts should be able to handle the STi spring rate (224/195 or so). A lot of WRX guys run the STi springs on their stock struts with very good results.

So...

1. Has anyone done STi springs on 2001 stock struts? I know it's been done on FXT's with pretty good results so far...

2. I also sorta have some 04 WRX sedan struts. These are definitely better then my aging struts...but will there be any drawbacks to using WRX sedan struts over wagon struts? Aren't there camber issues for WRX wagon people running sedan struts...what about for foresters? Ideally i would get wagon struts but the sedan ones sorta fell into my hands.

3. I don't want to lower the car much at all. A slammed beige Forester is not my idea of cool :) . The pictures i've seen of FXT's on STi springs is about right for me. How much lower would I be with WRX struts?

4. Am I missing anything? Best case scenario for handling would be 04+ WRX wagon struts and STi springs, but would that be excessivly low? And would sedan struts be that much of an issue?

5. That is all. I like the site, and i'll be sure to stick around. :p

Thanks,
Andrew

EDIT: The more I research...the more I think I need WRX Sedan struts anyway. It looks like the Forester front track is closer to the sedan rather then the wagon. I would still lose some front camber, but not much. I think.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
To answer part of your spring rates question...

Rate-F-R(lbs/in):
Stock 03-05 Forester springs rate is 118/157 F/R
JDM F-STi spring rate is 194/165 F/R
WRX Wagon spring rate is 163/144 F/R
USDM STi spring rate is 224/194 F/R

I can't recall anyone knowing the stock spring rates for stock 98-02 Foresters but I can tell you for sure that it is lower than the 03-05.

1. Has anyone done STi springs on 2001 stock struts? I know it's been done on FXT's with pretty good results so far...
I have not heard of anyone but I have installed a set of 03 Forester stock struts and topmounts with Forester specific JDM STi springs onto a 98 and it drops the car one inch. Around here those springs are knows as F-STi springs so don't confuse them with Impreza USDM STi springs. The STi springs you talked about will lower your car approximately 2-3 inches with stock 98 struts plus you will need 04 rear strut mounts to make it work (which you already have). However, I wouldn't do it with stock 98 struts which will be way underdampened for the USDM STi springs.

2. I also sorta have some 04 WRX sedan struts. These are definitely better then my aging struts...but will there be any drawbacks to using WRX sedan struts over wagon struts? Aren't there camber issues for WRX wagon people running sedan struts...what about for foresters? Ideally i would get wagon struts but the sedan ones sorta fell into my hands.
IMHO, you are better off using WRX sedan struts than wagon struts for front camber issues. That is what I am using on my 03 right now - aftermarket specific WRX sedan struts with wagon springs.

3. I don't want to lower the car much at all. A slammed beige Forester is not my idea of cool :) . The pictures i've seen of FXT's on STi springs is about right for me. How much lower would I be with WRX struts?
I assume you mean WRX struts with USDM STi springs here. You would be approximately 3" to 3.5" lower from Forester ride height if you go this route. Make note that the STi springs lower the WRX setup about one inch but that is from WRX ride height. When I had my GR2 WRX sedan struts and WRX springs, the setup lowered my car 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear already.

4. Am I missing anything? Best case scenario for handling would be 04+ WRX wagon struts and STi springs, but would that be excessivly low? And would sedan struts be that much of an issue?
Sedan struts not an issue and I recommend it. WRX struts and STi springs are better for handling but you will lose versatility for the Forester and decrease ride quality. However, I do not think it is excessively low.

5. That is all. I like the site, and i'll be sure to stick around. :razz:
We all here hope so. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

After looking around it does seem like sedan struts are the way to go. And I also agree that my stock struts could definitely NOT handle the STi springs. These things are pretty damn stiff.

I do have an extra set of 04 rear tops, but the struts I can get are from a 04+ WRX anyway.

The pics in your thread look good. It's a hair lower then I'm lookin for, but my STi springs are probably a hair higher then your swifts, so it should work out for me.

So I think I will end up doing the WRX sedan struts and STi springs. Next weekend will hopefully be the install.

- Andrew

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...i'll start a new thread when i get them on with pics and numbers.

- andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts