Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I'm putting a few mods on my basic 2.5X Forester and was wondering if anybody on here added the STI short throw shifter to their manual Forester...and would love hearing their opinions on it? I love my Forester and, actually, could not afford the Turbo model. And...even if I could afford it, I am partial to manual transmissions...love to shift. So...I thought adding a short throw shifter to my lowly 2.5X would add a bit of fun/sportiness. Anybodoy do this...and feedback please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?

I realize that their are few drivers with manual and, now, nobody with the STI short throw shifter mod for their 2009 - 2010 Forester? Hmmm.

Guess I'll just purchase the mod, employ and write the review myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Love to hear your review when you install. I am thinking about getting one myself. I don't think the stock throw is that long to begin with (compared to my 2006 mustang that was my last car)

I would love if the shorter throws make it a slighter smoother ride. My wife gets carsick if I don't shift perfectly every time!

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... wondering if anybody on here added the STI short throw shifter to their manual Forester...and would love hearing their opinions on it?... feedback please.
I added a short throw shifter to my Scion xB and took it off after one day. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, shortened the throw and made the shift faster. But the speedshifts also increased the resistance of the synchronizers as they had to do their work in half the time, and made the shifting feel harsh and notchy. Also the knob had to be changed to a little ball that did not feel good. I went back to the buttery smooth paused shifts with the big OEM knob.
I think the speed shifters with their shortened linkage are made for competition use, where saved fractions of a second are important and the life of the synchronizers is not. I doubt they are good for the longevity of a transmission in street use, where you want no trouble for a hundred thousand miles or more.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Premium Manual
8 Posts
Go Dawfvr!! I just did the same thing. Shifting makes the crappiest car feel sporty. Turbo would just break the tires loose in the snow too much anyways:). I too just got the X for the same reason and would very muck like to know how it turned out for you or anyone else.

·
Registered
2010 X Premium 5 Spd
95 Posts
I put a Kart Boy short shifter in mine, 2010 X Premium. I love it. Made the shifts shorter but also added a bit of noise along with it. Mine has the upgraded pivot bushing from TIC and it vibrates a little. Despite that I would do it again and it doe make the care feel a bit better.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
711 Posts
I want to install a short shifter, but maybe for the wrong reasons.

Forester Short Throw Shift Kit 5 speed 2009-2012, SubaruGenuineParts.com

I don't have a fast car and I'm not looking to shift any faster. I'm looking to be lazier. A shorter throw means I don't have to put much effort into it, right? I really don't want to lose the OEM feel though. Someone mentioned their shifts got harsh and nasty. DO NOT WANT.

I have subaru bucks to use and want to buy something. Either this or the strut bar. Any opinions are welcomed.

Forester SPT Front Strut Tower Bar/Brace 2009-2012, SubaruGenuineParts.com

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
I want to install a short shifter... not looking to shift any faster. I'm looking to be lazier. A shorter throw means I don't have to put much effort into it, right? I really don't want to lose the OEM feel though. Someone mentioned their shifts got harsh and nasty. DO NOT WANT...
A short throw shifter will increase the speed of shifting because the knob does not travel as far, but it also increases the effort because the leverage is shortened. And the kit's solid mounts and bushings took away the smooth feel and transmitted some harsh vibration and noise. I also worried that the faster forcing of shifts was rushing and wearing the synchs. I thought the effort was difficult and the feel was unpleasant, and so returned to OEM after one day. I found that I like slipping into the next gear when the transmission feels it's ready, rather than ramming into the gears with the help of a speed-shift linkage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts