Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just contacted japanparts regarding the red Sti struts and they told me that SG5 and SG9 struts are different. Springs seem to be different too as in the website the red ones are only listed for the SG9 model:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=11&middlesmall=3:9&maker=4&volkey=1005G-053-049

This is the answer I got

"Thank you so much for your reply but SG5 and SG9 springs are different. Since your car is SG9, Sti does NOT sell the strut because OEM strut is already pretty good one. "

So it looks like Sti only do springs to be used with the OE struts in the Sti.
Unless they have messed up the website or yuki is not well informed.

Actually, looking at this japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE it looks like there are no Sti red struts for the SG5 Sti either but only for the Crossport and XT.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you having suspension problems...?
Looking at the next step. I should stop driving my 205 :icon_rolleyes:
A few of us with different suspensions including OE should get together and compare setups.
How about this weekend? :biggrin:
In certain roads such as M25 clockwise from M4-M11 where the road is not smooth the car is not very well planted at speeds around 80+.
The rebound on the back almost kicks the back off the ground. I will try loosening it a bit (currently on 8).
In a way coilovers are good as you can adjust them but finding the perfect setup may take a while.
On the other hand on OE setup countless amount of hours have gone into testing and although they may not be adjustable thy should be a good compromise for allround driving. Then again I drove a FSTI with OE setup for a few miles on smooth roads so I am not be able to compare.
I havent driven this part with the 205 to be able to compare but I still think there is room for improvement in the FSTI setup.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Looking at the next step. I should stop driving my 205 :icon_rolleyes:
A few of us with different suspensions should get together and compare setups.
How about this weekend? :biggrin:
In certain roads such as M25 clockwise from M4-M11 where the road is not smooth the car is not very well planted at speeds around 80+.
I havent driven this part with the 205 to be able to compare but I still think there is room for improvement in the FSTI setup.
There's a bit on the M25 diagonally opposite the section you mention - J5 (sevenoaks) to J4 (Orpington) where you go up a steep hill and over the other side where the road has a washboard effect. Unfortunately it seems to be perfectly tuned to set the STI supsension into simple harmonic motion and is really noticable. Tis the same for Impreza STIs too apparently. The Tein setup got rid of this completely. :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rich, maybe you have to take me for a spin along that section sometime :biggrin:
The problem is that because bound and rebound are not separately adjustable I find that I have to compromise the bound (see soften enough) to get an acceptable rebound :(

Alistair, thanks for this link. How can I know which version (D,E etc.) my car is? How can I link the VIN number to a production date?
Indeed, there are no struts for the SG9 Sti only springs and some other bits and bobs.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Rich, maybe you have to take me for a spin along that section sometime :biggrin:
The problem is that because bound and rebound are not separately adjustable I find that I have to compromise the bound (see soften enough) to get an acceptable rebound :(

Alistair, thanks for this link. How can I know which version (D,E etc.) my car is? How can I link the VIN number to a production date?
Indeed, there are no struts for the SG9 Sti only springs and some other bits and bobs.
Would be a pleasure...but pointless as there'll be nothing bad to note anymore :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be a pleasure...but pointless as there'll be nothing bad to note anymore :biggrin:
I am curious to see how your car is with the Teins. Not that I don't believe you but suspension setup is something subjective IMHO :)

I already had a go with Alistair's FSTI with Wangan coilovers (I appreciate this Alistair! :biggrin:) and was impressed (reminds me of the go-kart feeling my 205 has).

Cheers Don , will check the VIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts