1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these?
Litchfield

I can't find any review of them, the only advantage is the different bearing but I don't think you can buy the bearings separate and replace the originals?

Is it worth fitting them?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
you can most certainly buy the groupn bushings and have them pressed in2 the oem trailing arms. its a lot of work and you need a 20 ton press to accomplish this though, not to mention they wont be pretty in pink haha! either way you cant go wrong, its a good mod.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
I'm still selling a set of trailing arms and throwing a set of free urethane bushings for $80 shipped.. Then again to within the US
Sure it's only 93% as good as a pillowball, but I'm less than half the price ;)

Just have new bushings pressed into yours. Thats what I did. I even had my trailing arms powdercoated pink, cheaper than buying the STi bits new.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the suspension need re-alignment after replacing the trailing arms?
I wouldn't imagine since I am not touching the lateral arms, isn't it?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Will the suspension need re-alignment after replacing the trailing arms?
I wouldn't imagine since I am not touching the lateral arms, isn't it?
They're the exact same as stock just with different bushings and painted, so it won't change any of the alignment specs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of installing urethane bushes on mine as well. I'm also getting the trailing arms gusseted (?) as well for some extra rigidity. Just need to order the bushings for the front of my spec C contol arms and the rear ends of the trailing arms I should be all done.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 'problem' with urethane bushes is that they need regular greasing in order not to knock.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
The 'problem' with urethane bushes is that they need regular greasing in order not to knock.
Negative. It depends on the design and application.

Whiteline's urethane ones will more than likely last the life of your ownership of a car, and then some.. As it's metal jacketed.

Many of the two piece bushings, would squeak without proper maintenance every year or three.

The trailing arm bushings from prothane are a one piece design.. I dont think those will have issues for at least 5+ years.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I recommend just swapping out for the Group Ns. Rubber bushings are designed to flex urethane has to move so there will be wear. How much depends on the amount of movement.

Bottom line is for the street unless the replacement bushing offers some type of adjustment over stock it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
Negative. It depends on the design and application.

Whiteline's urethane ones will more than likely last the life of your ownership of a car, and then some.. As it's metal jacketed.
what design? the trailing link bushings are pretty much identical between prothane and energy suspension. whiteline only really makes the caster bush for the front control arms, but prothane and ES make a normal replacement for those as well. however i fail to see how an outer metal jacket on the whiteline bush will keep the inner metal sleeve from binding on the polyurethane once the lube wears away, which it WILL do on any poly bushing that actually has to move (deflect like the stock rubber).

Many of the two piece bushings, would squeak without proper maintenance every year or three.

The trailing arm bushings from prothane are a one piece design.. I dont think those will have issues for at least 5+ years.
the prothane trailing link bushings are a 2 piece design. 2 poly shells that slip in on either side with a inner metal sleeve that still needs to be slipped/pushed/pressed in. due to the size of those bushings i wouldn't be surprised if the ES was designed the same way, but i haven't seen a pic of one of those so i can't say for certain.

lol, i get a kick out of your doctor-like prognosis on the lifetime of the poly bushings. i have pressed 3 full ES kits on different nissans. they were all daily driver's and in ~6 months all the control arm and suspension arm bushings were completely dry. did that mean the bushing itself failed? no, but why spend money on something that needs to be taken apart and regreased pretty frequently? that's dumb. while you're doing that i'll be driving around with my group n's thank you.

i personally will never again waste my money on a poly bushing for a suspension/control arm (just those specifically). i think replacing static bushings for poly could be an "upgrade" in some instances, but that's really up to each person to decide what they want to replace or not.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
^ +1. Just because it's cheap and everyone does it doesn't mean it's worthwhile or practical for all but the most dedicated track day people but don't get me started...

·
Registered
707 Posts
the effort to make poly bushings practical in control arms just doesn't seem worth it for what little "benefit" they provide.

and by practical i mean cutting grease grooves in the poly shells, drilling a hole through the control arm into the poly shell and installing a zerk...ok great, but do you honestly want to modify something that much, let alone drill holes into your control arms, just so you can grease the silly bushing whenever you need? bleh f that noise!

besides, if your car doesn't have very many miles on it right now i'm sure the stock rubber bushings in the control arms are ok and still "work."

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i ended up getting the 2piece superpros for ease of install. im throwing them in this week w/ my saggy butt spacers and gettng the car aligned finally!

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fraktal et al, does the same apply for all urethane bushes used in ARBs and drop links, not only in trailing arms?

All I know is I had a clunk after installing whiteline ARBs and droplinks with urethane bushes in my previous WRX that I don't know what was caused by (at the same time I had Prodrive springs that had the plastic sleeves on the bottom of the coils at the rear to prevent touching but the noise was coming from the front - unsure whether the noise was coming from the coil springs touching or ARB/drop link bushings)

I noticed that most of the grease on the bushings had either dried or disappeared after 7 months as said so I am hesitant to fit 'upgraded' urethane bushes again. I want to fit something and forget not create extra jobs.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fraktal et al, does the same apply for all urethane bushes used in ARBs and drop links, not only in trailing arms?

All I know is I had a clunk after installing whiteline ARBs and droplinks with urethane bushes in my previous WRX that I don't know what was caused by (at the same time I had Prodrive springs that had the plastic sleeves on the bottom of the coils at the rear to prevent touching but the noise was coming from the front - unsure whether the noise was coming from the coil springs touching or ARB/drop link bushings)

I noticed that most of the grease on the bushings had either dried or disappeared after 7 months as said so I am hesitant to fit 'upgraded' urethane bushes again. I want to fit something and forget not create extra jobs.
well let me clarify. all of my previous experience with poly bushings has been on another car make/chassis. because of said experience i will never install poly bushings in suspension arms again.

i see no ill effects from installing upgraded bushings in like your steering rack, or the rear diff carrier/subframe inserts. those are static and won't bind like they will in a suspension arm.

however even sway bar (arb) D bushings are not a static bushing, as the bar does move back and forth in the bushing as the bar flexes. the end links are what actually flexes the most. this is also why i will (no offense) never install any kart boy endlinks or what not. there's even replacement inserts for those, which only strengthens the argument further. it would make perfect sense to me that your clunk was due to installing that stuff.

really what is your goal for the car?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I have them and they are exactly the same as stock sans color and bushings. I am sure they made some difference but not $375 worth of a difference (i did not pay anywhere near that much)

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have them and they are exactly the same as stock sans color and bushings. I am sure they made some difference but not $375 worth of a difference (i did not pay anywhere near that much)
You have PM :)
In what way was the car's behaviour changed?
Was the ride more/less harsh or the rear felt more planted?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts