Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to pick up an sti rear brace, but I use the car to ferry my bikes around a fair amount so want to swap the bolts out for some quick release bolts.

I've been looking at the whiteline quick release bolts but can't find any info on the length, the pictures of the whiteline strut brace looks like it's thinner than the sti at the point that the bar meets the bracket so not sure if they will be long enough.

Anyone tried this or have a set that they could measure? I've e-mailed whiteline but haven't received a response yet (guess its pretty low on their list to be honest!).

Tom.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,562 Posts
Ever thought about quick release seat clamps or similar that's used on bikes? A good quality heavy duty Hope or other make may do the same job.

You could always replace the main shaft on the Whiteline ones with a longer bolt.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
289 Posts

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ever thought about quick release seat clamps or similar that's used on bikes? A good quality heavy duty Hope or other make may do the same job.

You could always replace the main shaft on the Whiteline ones with a longer bolt.
I did consider that as I have a boxes full of bike parts. It's quite a long clamp length though, just measured and it needs to be 39mm. The hope clamps I have are only 25mm long.

not my brace, but best picture I could find quickly to show as it is similar. I could look to get some threaded bar to replace the bolt in the hope ones, may work quite well.

Yep, that's right.

I'll measure the Whiteline bolts tomorrow. 👍
Thanks, I'm guessing that they wont be long enough but cheers for checking.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike post seat clamps from eBay, about £5 each. Thats what I used on my rear strut brace

Actually, these look like they may be long enough. The clamps I have to measure here are all short and light to match the weight-weeney clamps, the cheaper ones tend to be longer because the clamping surfaces are thicker.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,758 Posts
just for comparison the Whiteline Version

Reactions: twade76

·
Premium Member
2005 Forester STI Manual 6 Speed
993 Posts
I have a spare set of the whitwline qr bolts somewhere as my brace came with two sets for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
711 Posts
Good thread this, I've often thought about strut braces being a pain if one needs to put seats down for stuff.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The set that I ordered of ebay are the right width for the STI brace, they aren't particularly high quality to be honest but I would've thought they'll do fine for this because the risk of anything going wrong is very low. My main concern is that the skewer has a smaller diameter than the hole in the brace, so it could slide around. Luckily I have a mate who can machine me up a couple of bushes so will do that if I can't find an appropriately sized one in my box of mtb bits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts