Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb 5 speed
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a Spec C STi quick ratio steering rack. It's RHD (so is my Forester so that is not the issue)
Will the STi steering rack fit an SF5 without swapping the crossmember or would it not work?
My Forester is turbo EJ20 factory, probably same as GC8 crossmember

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, so I've sort of answered my own question (for some reason I though a Spec C was only a certain year) apparently of the rack is from an 04 or prior it will go onto a GC/SF crossmember. However 05 and post are a "direct mount" rack, so you would have to swap the cross member.
The guy claims this is an 04, however I want to be certain since it's coming from far that it is NOT a "direct mount" rack, I'm not entirely sure what this means. Can anybody explain to me or provide pictures so I can be certain I am buying the correct rack that would be wicked.

Also, I know the steering uni must be customized, the plan is to take the SF5 steering uni, remove the top portion so the SF5 splines work in the steering column (this is also the longer portion making the sf5 uni longer from what I can see) and have it installed into a GD STi solid uni to mate it to the rack. Anybody have any input on any of this or any surprises I may encounter possibly more things that need to be swapped I'm unaware of?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link to the hybrid uni setup.
Steering Uni Gdb/sf5 Hybrid, Question/picture For A Gdb Sti Owner - Rexnet Subaru Forums

I'm also looking to "de power" the rack, using this as somewhat of a guide.
De-powering the steering rack, plus more to come on rebuilding wrx parts

So anybody with any input/addition data on this would also be appreciated :)

I think this will be a nice mod to do all at once, remove the bushing play in the uni, remove some weight from the front of the car (removal of power steering components), have less things to worry about going wrong on the track/make more room in the engine bay, gain probably 2-5hp which is usually lost & a more direct steering feel, go from a 19:1 to 13:1 steering ratio. Win win win win, obviously not for a daily driver though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts