Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 FXT and I have read up on STI parts to upgrade mainly the TMIC and VF48 turbo. I know the earlier models work but I see 2017/2018 TMIC and VF48's for sale and just wondering if they are all the same?? If they will not work what year parts should I be looking for? My car is a low mileage car 89,XXX and bone stock for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated for the info......so the 2017/2018 TMIC may work or not? From the link it looks like the turbo is all the same.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
174 Posts
Any VF48 turbo will fit; really, any VFxx will work except for the twin-scroll variants.

Very recent year TMICs could theoretically be made to work, but the form factor doesn’t match the older hood scoop. There would be a loss of efficiency since the shroud on the bottom of the scoop won’t fit correctly. The hot pipe routing and orientation may not work.

Much easier to get the correct form factor STI intercooler and they are usually quite cheap.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
310 Posts
08-14 STI TMICs do fit, with either a bracket extension, the correct P/N bracket from the newer cars, or just forgo the passenger side bracket entirely. There are reports of the elbow on the Y-pipe not fitting correctly with a TD-04, but they work fine with VF-series turbos.

You will have the problem of a poorly fitting shroud, but you can either DIY a splitter or just leave it alone, since it won't cool any worse than stock, and will still flow a ton more air.

Any VF series will work, minus the VF52 (or similar) as that is the legacy GT style downpipe mounting. And as mentioned above, twin-scroll turbos won't work either.

This is what I've found in my recent search to put together a swap for my FXT, but I still recommend doing your own research. There's a huge amount of info out there, some of it buried in unrelated, years-old threads...feels like archeology at times. I can't speak for 15-18 STI parts, as I haven't seen many of them for sale.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X Automatic
256 Posts
Here to hear any help provided as I have a 2017 STI TMIC in the mail for my 04 XT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts