Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Just getting my thread started early with some pics. Hopefully nothing goes wrong and I can get these bits installed saturday.

STi Aluminum Lateral Links - B0250SA000 - SG Forester spec

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=788

Noltec Front Endlinks - NOL22509 - WRX spec

noltecsuspension.com

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=355&Product_Code=NOL22509&Category_Code=100

The Noltecs cost only $69 plus shipping! Don't let the price or drilled center hole fool you. Whiteline solid endlinks also have drilled center maybe to reduce weight or material to reduce cost. These links are super beefy adonized solid aluminum with polyurethane bushings and heavy duty bolts, nuts and washers. I intend to install these links for the front sway bar but many Impreza owners also used these for the rear sway bars with success as well. I was skeptical of the price at first but links are very well engineered and made. I am lowered and my front endlinks aren't looking good cause it is at an angle. I hope these Noltecs are a bit shorter or if the links would still be angled that these upgraded endlinks will give better response than the stockers. Only negative thing I have heard about these links are that Noltecs would not work with Perrin sway bars do to the design of the Perrin bars. Also notice that I am a lot poorer than Peaty. I scavenged but could only find a penny.

TBA Rear Sway Bar

I am currently looking at a Whiteline 24mm adjustable RSB BSR37Z - STi spec. A local vendor has this in stock and I was able to see the bar and it measured 45" as compared to our stock 44" SG RSB. I was going to purchase this RSB but the vendor lost the supplied poly sway bar bushings. Unbelievable. In an attempt to find me a set of correct bushings, the parts person handed me a set of Whilteline Steering Rack Bushings!!! :wtfeyes :thumbsdown:

I really want this RSB and offered 3/4 the price as listed because a 1/4 of the listed price is what it will cost me to buy replacement bushings. The parts tech couldn't approve it but my name and number was taken so the parts manager would call me back. I still have not gotten a call nor a reply to my email as promised. Service suck! I am just trying to be cool cause the price is good and it is the only vendor local that stock this bar I want. I would hate dealing with shipping unless I have to and I try to support local vendors first.

As for now, my second option is the 22mm Perrin RSB kit for the '04 STi. This would pretty much do too because I would mostly be running at medium with an adjustable 24mm bar which would equal 22mm anyway. Of course if I go this route the Noltec Links would go to the FSB. There is COBB but they are backup in orders of their FXT RSB.
► Edit - moderator's note - the images on this post are not recoverable. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Looking forward to the end result! I'm sure you'll be happy.

Those noltec links look pretty stout and you got them for a bargain!

FWIW- You should try to get an adjustable RSB since it will allow you some minor suspension tuning. Because you never know when you might want to get a bit more oversteer...:twisted:

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Hmm.. those links are pretty sweeet looking.... if I can't get rid of my Perrin endlink clunking, I'll prob. go with these... they look "short"... are they same length as stock or longer ?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Please take pics of the front endlink install when you're done! I got the same links per your advice.. =) They are sitting in my garage waiting for me to do the front swaybar install though. Interesting that these work in the rear also. =)

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
Looking good! Those rear lateral links are going to make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
twg said:
Hmm.. those links are pretty sweeet looking.... if I can't get rid of my Perrin endlink clunking, I'll prob. go with these... they look "short"... are they same length as stock or longer ?
I haven't compared the Noltecs to the stockers but will let you know later.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
tre36 said:
As for now, my second option is the 22mm Perrin RSB kit for the '04 STi. This would pretty much do too because I would mostly be running at medium with an adjustable 24mm bar which would equal 22mm anyway. Of course if I go this route the Noltec Links would go to the FSB. There is COBB but they are backup in orders of their FXT RSB.
I'm running the Whiteline BSR37Z @ 22mm setting using the stock end links and mo_boost's braces- no trouble in 4-5 months. I have the KB solid end links waiting to go in, but will have to see how it all fits.

FWIW, I bought this bar from a left coast Internet/Subaru parts dealer, and my bar also arrived w/o the bushings. I was told that Whiteline (USA) would drop ship some, but of course never did...I took the STi bushings (21mm) and turned them into Whitelines (22mm) by cutting some shallow lateral grooves across the insides of the bushings with a hacksaw blade. Worked like a charm- not perhaps the ultimate in bushing firmness, but then again anything too firm might hasten the failure of other parts anyhow (endlink mount tabs, etc). For the same reason, the bar is staying at the middle setting, too...

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FXT22, are you using stock SG mounts or stock STi sway bar mounts?

jcwhitney got some polyurethane bushings for super cheap. I am wondering if these would work.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005918/showCustom-0/p-2005918/N-111+10201+600011487/c-10101

by calculations, 22mm would be roughly 7/8 of and inch or 55/64 of an inch to make it snug.

Bushings for 7/8" Sway Bars, Smaller Brackets Kit ZX887544N $12.99
OR

Energy Suspension

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Table%20-%20Universal%20Sway%20Bar%20Bushings.asp

7/8" / 22mm 95158 $14.75

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
The STi mounts and clamps- I tried an Energy Susp. 7/8" kit from Autozone, but couldn't get a good mate to the STi mounts, and the ES bushings were too tall and wide to work with the stock clamps. Since I'm not going for a super-low, super-stiff set up on this car (Tein H-techs on the rear, WRX on the front), the STi bushings are fine.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Installed the SG STi Lateral Links this morning along with the Noltec front endlinks.

Attached are instructions from my 2003 Service Manual.

STi Lateral Links

Tools used:

½ drive 20” breaker bar
¾ drive 10” breaker bar
19mm wrench
17mm wrench
½ drive ratchet
¾ drive ratchet
20mm or 21mm socket (sorry can’t remember exactly)
19mm socket - 1/2
17mm socket – ½ and ¾ drive
½ drive torque wrench
¾ drive torque wrench
Mallet hammer
Plier
Sharpie permanent marker
Jackstands
Floor jack
Safety glasses

Things I did not do that the manual stated and not necessary IMO…

- Did not remove ABS harness
- Did not remove bolt securing trailing link
- Did not remove DOJ of rear drive shaft which would involve removing the drive shaft inner boot band – this however is what prevents you from removing the front-inner lateral link bolts but there is a workaround I’ll state later.

Install Summary:

- Loosen rear wheel lug nuts and lift rear of vehicle and use jackstands
- Remove wheels
- Scribe marks on toe adjustment bolt and plate with your Sharpie
- Remove bolt from part of rear endlinks connected to your stock lateral links

-Break lateral link bolts free: darn Subaru Gorillas
1. Outer later link bolt
2. Rear-inner bolt (this is the toe adj bolt)
3. Remove rubber protector then break free front-inner bolt;

- There is very little room with the front-inner bolt area and that bolt was a PIA to remove due to lack of room for leverage. This is where the mallet is your friend – WHAM! A ratchet will not work here and this is where you want to use the 17mm wrench. Two would be ideal. One to hold the nut and the other the bolt. I have a nice thin ¾ drive 10” breaker bar that slides right in though. The rear drive shaft DOJ is also partially blocking the front-inner bolt. I did not want to remove that so I use the floor jack to raise the rear diff as much as I can without the car lifting off the jackstands holding up the rear. This allowed the rear axels to move up just enough to allow more room. The DOJ are still blocking the removal of the front-inner lateral link bolts but you can use a plier and carefully and gently pull the bolts out. Be very very careful not to rip or tear into the inner drive axel boots that are connected to the rear diff. When inserting the front-inner bolt for installation of the new STi lateral links, use the mallet to gently tap the bolt in. Again, be very careful.

- Remove stock lateral links
- Install new SG STi lateral links
- Install endlink to new lateral links
- The rear outer STi lateral link has a reinforced rubber bushings, so you want to torque the bolts with wheels on ground to zero out the bushings. Since I know my lateral links are horizontal when car is on the ground and getting at the rear outer bushing with the wheels on the car may be a challenge I came up with a similiar approach with wheels off. I used the floor jack to bring the rear suspension to mimic ground level as close as possible. When the lateral links were horizontal, I crawled under and torqued all the bolts to factory spec.
- Torque front and rear inside bolts to 74 ft-lbs
- Torque outer bolts to 103 ft-bls
- Reinstall wheels and torque lug nuts to 70 ft-lbs
- Clean up
- Craw under car to get last peek at 'em STi aluminum lateral links
- Enjoy

*** Disclaimer: Please follow the removal and installation instructions from your service manual. Use my install guide at your own risks.

My lateral links are horizontal due to my car being lowered 3.5"

Stockers

STi-ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Noltec Front Endlinks

The Noltec endlinks is just a tad longer than the stock front endlinks. I didn’t take pics of comparison but the Noltecs dwarfs the stock endlinks. The stock endlinks also has a lot of play in the joints – bad.

Tools used:

¾ drive ratchet
14mm socket
17mm socket
8mm allen wrench
Rhino Ramps
Plier

Note that the supplied bolt has a hex head so you would need a 8mm allen wrench.

Install Summary:

- Drive vehicle on to ramps
- Use 14mm socket and ratchet to remove stock front endlinks
- Use supplied grease and apply grease to expose part of the polyurethane bushings
- Install Noltec links with washers and locking nuts
- The Noltec links are beefy. The front sway bar prevented the use of the allen wrench on the bottom bolt. I had to use a plier to hold the bottom Noltec endlink bolts from spinning since there was no room to get the allen wrench in.
- There also just wasn’t enough room to sneak in a torque wrench so I tighten by feel
- Most pics I have seen with installation of Noltecs have the larger bushing end on the bottom but I switched it around for my install. So I have the smaller bushing end at the bottom and larger bushing end at the top. It makes more sense since the top flexes a bit when connecting with the front sway bar. The point of flex should be given more material.

If I do this again, I would remove the wheels and put vehicle on jackstands for more room.

*** Disclaimer: Please follow the removal and installation instructions from your service manual. If you refer to my guide, do so at your own risks.

I thought the orientation of the upper endlink is odd but my search on the internet yield the same effect.

My Foz:

Random internet pics:

► Edit - moderator's note - the images on this post are not recoverable. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Picked this up today after my one hour test drive. Somehow it landed me at the doorsteps of Carter.

Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear sway bar :biggrin:

Whiteline bar measures out to 45"
OEM SG bar measures out to 44"
OEM '04 STi bar measures out to 46"

The bar did not have the supplied polyurethane bushings and bushings are on back order. Hopefully it gets here by Friday. :)

I also went to WorldOne Performance and looked at the Perrin STi bar. It looks longer than the Whiteline bar and the design is off and not shaped like the stock bar. However, I did notice the new heavy duty Perrin sway bar mounts and it can be bought separately. These are the new box shaped mounts that are same height as OEM STi mounts. I will see how I feel abount the Perrin mounts by week end. Some people suggested that I upgrade to heavy duty mounts cause the STi stocker can break too.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/assets/images/subaru/sway_bar_rear_sti02.jpg

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
LOL you said BLING!

Looks like your Foz is shaping up to be a real road carver!

You get a pimp for the write up and one ore for the "BLING"

:pimp::pimp:

(the STi lateral links aren't really bling because they actually improve the car's performance...)

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Review:

Recap of my weekend project…
  • Installed SG STi lateral links
  • Installed Noltec solid front endlinks
  • Finally got around to zero out front control arm bushings – should not be pass over for anyone lowering their vehicle and this is stated in the service manual
  • Shorten Poltec rear endlinks to shortest length to straighten rear endlinks as much as possible
  • Alignment – factory spec
My suspension setup thus far:
  • Swift Sport Mach springs (02/03 WRX Wagon)
  • KYB GR2 Struts (02/03 WRX Sedan)
  • 02/03 WRX strut mounts and stoppers
  • PolTec adjustable rear endlinks and sway bar collars
  • Whiteline steering rack bushings
  • 20mm STi rear sway bar, mounts, brackets and bushings
  • Whiteline rear strut bar with Quick Release
  • Whiteline front strut bar
  • Noltec Front Endlinks (WRX Sedan)
  • SG Forester STi Lateral Links
Tires/Wheels: 225/50/17 Falken Ziex 512

STi Lateral Links

After this weekend, my car has been transformed. The most noticeable improvement with rear of the car is how well it tracks with the front. Turn in is so much better. Before the rear end just want to slide in a hard turn. The pillowball joints make a world of a difference in terms of feedback from road surface. The rear of the car is so much more predictable and smoother compared to before which surprises me and I’m thrilled.

I speculate the improvement in handling in the rear is due to the pillowball joints. The suspension seem to articulate better with the road as a result of the rear suspension moving freely allowing the springs, struts, and sway bar to do its job. At highway speeds, less effort is needed to steer the car on bends on the road. It was one of the major differences I notice in steering response from the car.

I am currently still using the stock STi 20mm RSB. During my test drive I notice one thing that needed improvement right off the bat - a larger rear sway bar. The car feels darn good as it is but faster speeds around corners still tip the rear of my car more than I want. The front is a lot more stable so for the reason a larger sway bar is waiting in the garage to neutralize the handling. The STi lateral links are one piece and the endlinks tabs are beefy. Some people have broken off the endlink tabs on the stock lateral links using larger rear sway bars than the STi 20mm.

Noltec Front Endlinks

One thing I notice when I lowered my car 3.5”/3” front/rear was how the endlinks no longer lined up vertically. From research, this poses a compromise for the sway bar and reduces the effectiveness of the sway bar. The joints of the stock front endlinks are also flexible to allow the front sway bar to be lucid with the road. This is good for offroading but for a street car it is not. The Noltecs are solid aluminum with polyurethane bushings.

I’m not kidding but with the upgrade to solid endlinks it feels as though I have added a slightly larger sway bar up front. I am not saying this just off hand but after an hour of test driving yesterday and an hour today. The Noltecs are a tad longer than the stock front endlinks and when installed it is straight. The Noltecs did solve my concern. I have been pondering with the idea to upgrade to a 22 or 24mm adjustable Whiteline front sway bar but the front end of my car feels pretty darn good after the new links. I also zeroed out the control arm bushings over the weekend so this may also be a factor in handling.

Summary

Please note that your results with the STi Lateral Links may vary due to your suspension setup. My car now is where I have wanted if to be. Time, patience and trial and error really paid off in deciding what I wanted to throw on my car. I had the F-STi springs and stock WRX springs w/ GR2s on before my current spring/strut combo and it didn’t give me results I wanted. Those are good setup but there are compromises. The biggest improvement to my suspension still is the shorten GR2 WRX sedan struts and WRX wagon Swift springs. The STi lateral links really kick up the notch in terms of rear end tracking. It’s an upgrade you will feel and appreciate if you are a spirited driver. There is no increase in NVH.

My decision on a larger rear sway bar is to increase the traction in sharper turns and to reduce the body roll a bit more in the rear. I have scrapped the idea of a larger front bar because the front end is right where I wanted now.

·
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
Honestly, do the big front bar! 24mm, seriously. You will be amazed at the difference. Make sure to pair it with the big rear bar you got, set to 22mm (middle setting) initially.

BSF33X (24) is your friend. Do the BSF33Z (22-24) or BSF33XZ (24-26) if you feel like spending a tad more, either way set it to 24mm.

The improvement in front end grip and response is significant.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Porter, you are starting to be a bad influence. :biggrin:

I'll check with PDM-Racing the next time I cross the border to Canada. Good vendor and hopefully they have one of the bars you mention in stock for comparison to the stock SG N/A bars.

·
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
tre36 said:
Porter, you are starting to be a bad influence. :biggrin:

I'll check with PDM-Racing the next time I cross the border to Canada. Good vendor and hopefully they have one of the bars you mention in stock for comparison to the stock SG N/A bars.
Whoa...

You have an NA Forester? I gave you the part numbers for the Turbo.

The Whiteline catalog lists the BSF24 (22mm) as the SG non-turbo front sway bar. It is not adjustable.

Based on deduction, however... it is possible (and likely) that the BSF10 (22mm) for the 02+ WRX sedan non-turbo will fit... and also possible that the XF19XZ (20-22-24) may also fit, it fits a very large number of non-turbo Subaru vehicles including the US market 2.5RS (GC) and the BD/BG Legacy vehicles. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I just installed my cobb front sway with noltec front links. I'm still running soft setting in the rear bar because I have the stock links on. I have a new set of perrins sitting in the garage but I also got a set of kartboys coming. I have to decide which one to go with before I kick the rear bar up to the middle setting.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Porter said:
Whoa...

You have an NA Forester? I gave you the part numbers for the Turbo.

The Whiteline catalog lists the BSF24 (22mm) as the SG non-turbo front sway bar. It is not adjustable.

Based on deduction, however... it is possible (and likely) that the BSF10 (22mm) for the 02+ WRX sedan non-turbo will fit... and also possible that the XF19XZ (20-22-24) may also fit, it fits a very large number of non-turbo Subaru vehicles including the US market 2.5RS (GC) and the BD/BG Legacy vehicles. YMMV.
Good info. I'll see how the new rear bar play out first. The front end of my car feels darn good right now.

PDM-Racing is a known vendor that stock up Whiteline parts and also has a nice chart with part numbers but not certain a 1mm difference would be worth wild. My stock front bar is 21mm and same as the FXT.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html

ZumBle said:
I just installed my cobb front sway with noltec front links. I'm still running soft setting in the rear bar because I have the stock links on. I have a new set of perrins sitting in the garage but I also got a set of kartboys coming. I have to decide which one to go with before I kick the rear bar up to the middle setting.
I am really happy with the Noltecs and will probably get another set for the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I did a quick search and didn't find any sti style rear endlinks from noltec. Either way, I have kartboys coming. I need to go with the middle setting in the rear bar. I think my car is understeering now with the front bar and the rear in the soft setting.

I am really happy with the Noltecs and will probably get another set for the rear.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts