Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my STi key in the mail a few days ago that I got off of Ebay, Sleek and solid, I was much happier than I thought that I'd be about it, anyway, so I called the dealer, Valley Motors in Hunt Valley. They said that they can't cut the newer Subaru keys, something about their machine being to old, and that the powers that be don't think it would be a good investment to get a new one.
So I went to this place that they recommended, Something like Safe, Lock and Key, or something like that, next to the diner in my area, the Nautilus Diner. I tell the guys I want a key cut and I show the guys the key and they were like, we can't say for sure that the key is going to be cut right because it isn't one of their key blanks, and that if it doesn't work that they won't pay the original cost of the key so I'm like crap where else am I going to get it done, they said that they're about 99% sure that they shouldn't have any issues with it. He said that he'd recalibrate the machine so that it'll be dead on. So I gave them the go ahead, The guy puts it in place and starts to cut the key, after each cut he brushes off the metal flakes and procedes to finish one side and then procedes to the next side. Meanwhile he looks like he's messed up, he then goes in the other room to talk to the other employee about the key, I'm like thinking to myself, they Fubar'ed it and I'm sweating because I now know that he F'd it up, and I just lost 20 bucks on the key. He comes back with some caliper of some sort to measure the depth in the cut, he says that they have to cut a little bit deeper, I'm still thinking to myself like man it's not going to work. So he finishes and he says this should do, It costed me $4.50 so I pay him and I go outside and I pray for it to work, I put it in the ignition and I turn the switch and it works, Yahooooo

I bet you all thought that I was going to tell you that it didn't work. Well word to the wise, if you get one of these keys, make sure that you get it done by the dealer, just in case it doesn't work then they will be able to replace it out of their pockets. By the way the you know that they add 15-18 horsepower to the engine, Just Kidding but it looks cool as hell.
Thanx for listening

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Do these work with the newer Foresters? I thought they had the chip in the key for the immobilizer. Other than removing the chip from an existing key and taping it under the steering column I didn't think you could use a non chipped key?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
I think it's only the XT that gets the immobilizer feature, and the X still has the regular keys.

Oh, and I have to quote SKSTI from the other key thread because his post made me :lol:

SKSTI said:
STi keys are forged from the fiery pits of Mnt Fuji, folded 300 times by master swordmakers, guarded by FHI Ninjas. Rumor has it the special alloy is formed with Manji. Those that possess such keys are known to have superior human strength and longevity.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I musn't have the immobilizer, mine is an 06 x and it works fine.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Yeah, the XT is the only one who got the beef'd up security

Sooo

This should work for an older subaru model forester also?

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
I use a STi key for my '01 Impreza. Since the GC and SF use many of the same parts, I would say yep, it'll work. One thing to note: For the older Impreza's the STi key was a little too fat to use in the door and trunk locks. I took mine down a bit on each side using a Makita belt sander (for metal) and it works perfect in all the locks now.
SenorSubie said:
Yeah, the XT is the only one who got the beef'd up security

Sooo

This should work for an older subaru model forester also?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I guess it's a good thing then you don't have the chip, for some reason I thought they put that in across the line.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Different STi Key

I bought an STi Key today but it's not the blue one. It's polished silver. As usual, whenever I get a key made, it works but is a little tight so I may have to deburr it a little or find out where it's off. I thought when you bring the key code to the dealer, they can cut it perfectly. Anyone know?

Anyway, it works and not only added horsepower, but I think it increased the mileage too :lol:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Wow, that looks slick! I've never seen one like that, mine is a blue one for the 04 STi... Is this a regular key blank you can buy at the dealership or some sort of tricked out JDM piece?

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I bought it at Renick Subaru, my local dealer. It's also RenickMotorsports. It came in nice plastic case with blue felt. It had a Subaru part sticker on the back but I forgot to ask for it back. The part number on my invoice is R0077FC100 and the description is "STI FANCY KEY." It was the display one and their last.

I don't know if it's an Japanese key. I've never seen one like this so I bought it.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
ogopogo said:
I bought an STi Key today but it's not the blue one. It's polished silver. As usual, whenever I get a key made, it works but is a little tight so I may have to deburr it a little or find out where it's off. I thought when you bring the key code to the dealer, they can cut it perfectly. Anyone know?

Anyway, it works and not only added horsepower, but I think it increased the mileage too :lol:

That's pretty slick. I wanted to get the blue STi key but the whole immobilizer chip ruined that for me.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
I let the guy at Walmart cut my '04 STi key blank. Well, that is, after he successfully cut, and I tested, one of the regular $.99 cent keys. I think I got both done for $2.49.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ogopogo said:
Obviously, the increased mileage is due to the vastly improved aerodynamics of the STi key. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Marty said:
Obviously, the increased mileage is due to the vastly improved aerodynamics of the STi key. :rolleyes:
:lol:

Between that, the SPT bling and an SWRT decal, nobody will be able to keep up with you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts