Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Long story short, i had to replace one of the HID ballasts last year (it died with age i assume) so replaced it with a spare ballast i had from the old XT.

It would appear that during the recent rain and driving in it, ive managed to blow said replacement (or the bulbs gone but as i could smell burnt toast, im going with the ballast dying, rest of the light unit works so luckily it doesnt appear to be the wiring).

I could replace the single ballast with the last spare i have but im wondering if its possible to 'upgrade' the ballast to something more powerful or wont it work that way?

Also, if im removing the bumper, im guessing i might as well replace both ballasts as, even though my replacement has the same power as the existing, there is a slight colour change in the bulb colour.

And what bright spark at Subaru thought it would be a good idea to hide the light brackets that required bumper removal?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
Should have said, that ive got the Philips X-Treme Vision Gen 2 bulbs
D3S Philips X-treme Vision +50% 35W 4800K Xenon HID Bulb

It says 35w but would a 55w work or just shorten the life span?

On a side note, there doesnt seem to be any difference of the above bulb over the generic bulb the car come with
If you have D3S they are the WRONG bulbs for your headlights
Or did you mean
D2R Philips X-treme Vision +150% 35W 4800K Xenon Bulb

D2R bulbs have a black band around the element to cut out glare

the "R" relates to Reflective headlight rather than "S" relating to Projector (Shielded) headlights

If you've fitted a D3S bulb in a Reflector headlamp - not surprised its no better than OEM

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Don,

Your right, i fitted the D2R bulb, i just saw that link to the Philips so copied and pasted without checking the bulb fitment.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
The other part of your question re: 35 or 55W gets a little complicated re: brightness against colour shift

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
714 Posts
@kingstonjames

I wonder if changing both ballasts guarantees a colour match?

I changed one of mine earlier this year and I think it was a genuine Subaru ballast, but yeh they're a different colour 😔

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Get rid of the HID's bud and fit stock XT light clusters and good led's... I did and made the best decision I've made for a long time ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get rid of the HID's bud and fit stock XT light clusters and good led's... I did and made the best decision I've made for a long time ;)
I've looked into LED's and alot of people said No, stick with HID's

For the pre-facelift, UKDM and JDM housings/light clusters are the same.

Plus the amount i stupidly spent on the Philips thinking it would solve my woes = too much money 'wasted' to swap them out before they go. If they do go then ill look into LED's.

It would be interesting to see a before/after pic though as i remember someone on here (and FB group) doing a LED conversion but they never posted the results once moving.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@kingstonjames

I wonder if changing both ballasts guarantees a colour match?

I changed one of mine earlier this year and I think it was a genuine Subaru ballast, but yeh they're a different colour 😔
Id like to think so, the ballasts where the same in XT and it produced the same light. I guess theres slight difference between brands or one was on its way out(?) that gave it the colour change.

Thanks for the video Don, not going to lie as ive returned to the forum after purchasing some replacement 35w ballasts from Hids4u and just seen the video. Decided to stick with what the bulbs recommend than potentially screwing them up as well (assuming that ive not blown the bulb). But hopefully the thread/vid will be beneficial to someone in the future

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe someone here can help as no joy from the Facebook group...

I went to swap over the HID ballasts so the light colouring was the same, after swapping it all over and going to plug it back in, i found that the OEM 'power' cable female end (right side) doesnt marry up to the aftermarket ballast male end (left side)

The passenger side doesnt have this issue so must have been altered in the past. Is it a case of stripping the connectors off and swapping them over or can a specific connector be purchased for such things? Ive looked on the HIDS4U page but cant seem to find such a connector.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,581 Posts
Make a small harness up with spade connectors to check all works and then if you decide to then get the correct connectors from a breaker maybe. I'd just leave the harness you make up on tbh.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i was hoping i wasnt going to have to splice the wiring and could buy a connector but guess its the only way.

Just got to hope that the flat wiring is the same as red/black as the replacements now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts