Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a set of 07 stock sti headers w/ xpipe and a GS uppipe layin around that id like to install.. so i got a few questions that may have been covered before.. but i just want some up-to-date responses

1. do i need a tune? i understand a protune would make these benefit the most.. but will no tune at all n just an ECU reset be sufficient enough without blowin up the engine/breakin stuff?

2. will these 2 mate up fine n fit without issues?

3. for the headers... could i just use Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic or Dupli-Color High Heat Paint with Ceramic to "ceramic coat" it without any problems (like the paint meltin off)? n which of those 2 do you suggest i use?
...or am i better off on just spendin that xtra cash n send em to GS to get em coated? i also plan on wrapping em on top of that n fittin on the stock sti heatshields.. (i know you got to do some cuttin to fit)
(this answer will determine me porting them myself or just havin GS do it)

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
1- you can do this and drive on it ok...but I wouldnt go nuts on the boost, as you will more likely overboost and get a cel. I would get a protune.

2- should bolt on with no probs..make sure to get some new gaskets

3-get a professional to coat them, & have them p&p while you are at it. Some people say the heatshields are just as efficient as wrapping them...but requires a bit of work to run both. If you are going to just wrap them...be sure to get some header wrap sealant spray....not totally necessary, but good idea since stuff can drip down there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1- you can do this and drive on it ok...but I wouldnt go nuts on the boost, as you will more likely overboost and get a cel. I would get a protune.
awww.. ok.. was hopin i could install em n install a new turbo waaaaay in the future n then get the protune.. just didnt want the parts chillin on the floor for a while

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
If you're saying you want to go from catted to catless uppipe, then no worries. Just make sure to place a resistor in the EGT plug when you remove it to avoid CEL. No need for a retune, you are not changing boost or how it is regulated. If you think your td04 spools fast wait til the catless uppipe.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so catless uppipe is cool.. does not having a tune for the headers ok if i decide to go crazy with the turbo at times? or will i throw a CEL like stated in the 1st reply?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
will i throw a CEL like stated in the 1st reply?
Not if you put the resistor in the plug where you remove the EGT probe, or you could just tuck the probe away in the engine bay. I removed it and put in the resistor, much cleaner and no need for it since you lost the cat.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not if you put the resistor in the plug where you remove the EGT probe, or you could just tuck the probe away in the engine bay. I removed it and put in the resistor, much cleaner and no need for it since you lost the cat.
oh im talkin bout the STi headers

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
yes thats what i meant... thanks
Ok, cool then we are on the same page. Go to a local television repair shop or good electronic supply and get a 1/2 watt 2.2 kohm resistor, new gaskets, and an O2 socket. You'll be good. Have you looked into the uppipe install, it takes a few hours? Oh, and I just reread you OP and you can definitely PnP the manifold yourself. Just let me know if you need some details.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you looked into the uppipe install, it takes a few hours? Oh, and I just reread you OP and you can definitely PnP the manifold yourself. Just let me know if you need some details.:icon_wink:
yea i did.. was also gonna put on a red sti intake manifold while i was at it since you gotta remove that too... n i would like to pnp myself but i also want the headers ceramic coated.. n was told i should just get the professionally done..

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
yea i did.. was also gonna put on a red sti intake manifold while i was at it since you gotta remove that too...
Hmmm, don't know why you are removing the intake, but unless you have already bought an STI one it is the same as yours with red crackle powder coat. The PnP you could do youself, but I just have never been convinced of any ceramic coating (maybe swanetech). Good luck either way GS makes some absolutely beautiful products and their PnP is top notch.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, don't know why you are removing the intake, but unless you have already bought an STI one it is the same as yours with red crackle powder coat. The PnP you could do youself, but I just have never been convinced of any ceramic coating (maybe swanetech). Good luck either way GS makes some absolutely beautiful products and their PnP is top notch.
hmm.. i thought you had to remove the intake manifold to put on the uppipe?.. i know ours n the sti are the same.. just wanted mine red n cant afford the downtime in painting mine...

im also gonna put on a turbo inlet while im at it... but still not sure if i want a samco silicone or aps hard one...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts