Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think that I read somewhere that the OEM crosspipes appear short and the flex section stretches as things are installed. I hope this is correct because I took up about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch this way. Does that sound corrrect?

Second. This set of Manifolds are off of a friends car with 7K miles and no problems or leaks. On both sides of the crosspipe the center of the mating surfaces do not come together like the outsides(near the bolts) do giving the appearance that the surfaces are not mated correctly. Is this normal with the Grimmspeed gaskets and the ring in the center of the gaskets? I have torqued to 60 lbs to try to compress but no luck.

Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
hmmmm, when I installed my GS exhaust manifold, you could see gasket between crosspipe and manifold ends, though I don't remember any gaps like your pics show. I also used a GS crossover pipe though, so maybe that is the difference :shrug:

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Well, if you have a pit, or lift I'd suggest turning the car on and going under and seeing if there is an actual exhaust leak or if it is indeed just a visual problem.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Shouldn't even need a pit/lift - or even jackstanding the car, for that matter. :smile:

But that's indeed what I'd do.

From a cold start, you should have more than a few minutes of working time to determine if there's a true leak.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grimmspeed customer support thought it was a problem. They sent out new 2X thick gaskets today no charge! Thanks Grimmspeed!!!!

I will spend a little time over the next few days checking the surfaces with a straight edge and tune them up a little while the gaskets are on the way. Ill report back.

Is it normal to need to "pull" the OEM crosspipe to the manifolds?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I guess more new guy stuff. Reading Canonshooter's post I did not follow the correct sequence. I went to my old small block/Land Cruiser increase torque in a circle inside out. I tightened everything a little at a time. Not really a circle on this application.

So did I ruin something or do I just need to loosen it all and then retorque the crosspipe and then the manifolds to the heads?

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Bingo. If I recall, you tighten the manifolds to the heads last.
Do this..^^ after you get your thick gaskets.

So you are using sti p&p elbows, and stock x-pipe? I hope the oem x-pipe is p&p too...If not, get the highflow one from GS or importimage. The x-pipe is almost more retrictive than the elbows.

You are getting a re-tune? If not, you will flow more air, and possibly throw a cel.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes this is just part of a total upgrade. I will be installing a VF48 tomorrow followed by a tune next week.

It is also the PnP Grimmspeed crosspipe. I will remove everything today and check the surfaces with a straight edge. If there are high spots I wil spend a little time with a file to bring them in line a little more.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I reinstalled with new gaskets and torqued the crosspipe first. It looks better but only time will tell.

So far the biggest PITA was removing the stock bpv hose to replace it with the new STi one!

MY VF48 ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts