Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

sti front strut brace question

18K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  don1952 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if a classic Impreza sti front strut brace would fit the sf5 ? If not can someone recommend a decent one to get and where from ? Any ideas welcome, cheers guys .

#9 ·
This is the SPT bar for the Impreza, could this be the one that fits SG's?

SPT Strut Tower Brace – Front*
High-strength aluminum bar increases chassis stability by providing additional
stiffness to the front upper suspension area.
Impreza WRX (2002-2007) & STI (2004-2007): SOA3881020

As for the older Impreza ones:

STi Strut Tower Brace – Steel*
Provides additional stiffness to the upper suspension area. Reduces strut
deflection to promote quicker steering response.
Impreza (1998-2001): E4010FA000

STi Strut Tower Brace – Carbon Fiber*
Carbon fiber and high-strength aluminum construction effectively distributes
stress loads via three-bolt strut-top mounts.
Impreza (1998-2001): E4010FA100

Have no opinion on if these will fit or not. Just happen to have the SPT catalog in front of me at the moment.

#11 ·
Cheers Don, I was aware of XT666 post, was hoping of finding it in europe but seems like only japan has all the cool stuff.
On the other hand I don't want to compromise on the boot space with the seats down so a quick release one would be better. What alteration is needed to the strut top covers to fit the whiteline one? Wouldn't a quick release one mean it is not as stiff as a solid one?
Cheers :)

#12 ·
If you have the top caps like XT666 with the inbuilt hooks, the whiteline bar sits a bit higher than the STi one and you need to trim the plastic covers.
You would also have to mod the mount to take the strut cap as it has the attachment bracket for the cover/hook.

The quick release clamps give a very good clamping effect.
Picture below shows the clamps supplied with the brace and you can see in these pictures that the bar is slightly raised above the strut top mounting plate.

Attachments

#16 ·
I was actually surprised that someone noticed a difference with the rear brace. As I said I had one fitted at the front and didn't notice anything.
All this bracing etc. to me is "rat's milk", I think they add more weight than anything else, lol.
Suspension, ARBs and roll cage (as rally58man said) do have an effect on handling, a brace here or there doubt it will do much.
Just my 2p.

#33 ·
or my 24" tommy bar for taking the wheels off.....................officer

I know price is eye watering for bling, but there are things in Japan you can get for you car that cant get in Europe

Come on Yen, collapse

#37 ·
I have an 01 S on 06 wrx wagon suspension and i wanna put a rear strut brace in to minimize the creaks in the rear of the car/tighten it up a bit before i get into the sways which will be towards the end of the summer.

I've seen alot of back and forth on this but if you look at the ebay braces, they say 98-0X forester or 93-01 impreza for the same rear strut bar, I know all the GD struts and top hats bolt into the sf, i thought the gc stuff did as well, then i read on here that the gc tophat bolt pattern is wider. After ingesting both sources im so confused with the part interchange, I would prefer a gc strut bar as they are found for much much cheaper on ebay with alot more options/brands.

Anybody know for sure what swaps into what? Not hear-say but whos actually put what in their foz? the incorrect "iirc's" get confusing when they contradict each other.

For now i just want to do a cheapy rear bar($25-30), and maybe do a deal with an ebay vendor to get both for saving shipping cost.

:shrug:

Thanks guys

#38 ·
GD fits, GC does not, some of the ebay sellers ask what you want when you buy and ship a GD one for the SF at GC prices (go figure).

The opposed forces website lists the SF as using GD rear tophats, nuff said!

Got an ebay special as a sell on from scabbynet for £20!

Simon

#41 ·
^boot^I didnt realize what you were talking about then i realized you were from the UK, haha, sorry its hard to hear accents on the net.

Yeah im hoping it firms that whole area up, im more concerned with chasis flex in the rear and creak noises then i am trying to make an NA sf with 130k miles handle like a sports car

Thats what my hybrid wrx is for ;-)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.