Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if a classic Impreza sti front strut brace would fit the sf5 ? If not can someone recommend a decent one to get and where from ? Any ideas welcome, cheers guys .

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Yes it does.

I've thought about getting one as they look cool but do they make any difference to the handling?

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure mate , mine is fairly well set up already with Teins so just wanted to try one out i guess:icon_cool:

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Yes it does.

I've thought about getting one as they look cool but do they make any difference to the handling?
Doubt you will notice much difference, I had one fitted in my 205 but couldn't really notice much difference, think it is mainly for looks :chair:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
I don't think there is a STi SG9 one, but I thought there was a SPT one? I forget now.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
This is the SPT bar for the Impreza, could this be the one that fits SG's?

SPT Strut Tower Brace – Front*
High-strength aluminum bar increases chassis stability by providing additional
stiffness to the front upper suspension area.
Impreza WRX (2002-2007) & STI (2004-2007): SOA3881020

As for the older Impreza ones:

STi Strut Tower Brace – Steel*
Provides additional stiffness to the upper suspension area. Reduces strut
deflection to promote quicker steering response.
Impreza (1998-2001): E4010FA000

STi Strut Tower Brace – Carbon Fiber*
Carbon fiber and high-strength aluminum construction effectively distributes
stress loads via three-bolt strut-top mounts.
Impreza (1998-2001): E4010FA100

Have no opinion on if these will fit or not. Just happen to have the SPT catalog in front of me at the moment.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Interesting! Anyone knows where I can get one for a SG9 preferably a Sti one?

STi rear brace.........
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/646153-post45.html

The rest of the thread is excellent.

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=1007G-082-012

Whiteline rear brace KSB590Q(with quick release clamps) suitable for SF and SG although facelift SG's will need some minor alterations to the strut top covers.
Not a very good picture.........

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Cheers Don, I was aware of XT666 post, was hoping of finding it in europe but seems like only japan has all the cool stuff.
On the other hand I don't want to compromise on the boot space with the seats down so a quick release one would be better. What alteration is needed to the strut top covers to fit the whiteline one? Wouldn't a quick release one mean it is not as stiff as a solid one?
Cheers :)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Cheers Don, I was aware of XT666 post, was hoping of finding it in europe but seems like only japan has all the cool stuff.
On the other hand I don't want to compromise on the boot space with the seats down so a quick release one would be better. What alteration is needed to the strut top covers to fit the whiteline one? Wouldn't a quick release one mean it is not as stiff as a solid one?
Cheers :)
If you have the top caps like XT666 with the inbuilt hooks, the whiteline bar sits a bit higher than the STi one and you need to trim the plastic covers.
You would also have to mod the mount to take the strut cap as it has the attachment bracket for the cover/hook.

The quick release clamps give a very good clamping effect.
Picture below shows the clamps supplied with the brace and you can see in these pictures that the bar is slightly raised above the strut top mounting plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
well in all my rallying days never seen a rear strut brace and as for the frount yes we used to run them. also when we run Circuit cosworths we did not use them but we had a good roll cage :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have the top caps like XT666 with the inbuilt hooks, the whiteline bar sits a bit higher than the STi one and you need to trim the plastic covers.
You would also have to mod the mount to take the strut cap as it has the attachment bracket for the cover/hook.

The quick release clamps give a very good clamping effect.
Picture below shows the clamps supplied with the brace and you can see in these pictures that the bar is slightly raised above the strut top mounting plate.
so the whiteline quick release item will fit an sf5 with no modification then Don?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
so the whiteline quick release item will fit an sf5 with no modification then Don?
The top covers will need some slight alteration :biggrin: Will try for a photo later.

fpan said:
was hoping of finding it in europe but seems like only japan has all the cool stuff
Only the most "popular" (usually means impreza) stuff is brought into the UK by independent importers.

You could try asking the likes of Ian Litchfield or David Hendry Cars if they could/would add one to their next order.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I was actually surprised that someone noticed a difference with the rear brace. As I said I had one fitted at the front and didn't notice anything.
All this bracing etc. to me is "rat's milk", I think they add more weight than anything else, lol.
Suspension, ARBs and roll cage (as rally58man said) do have an effect on handling, a brace here or there doubt it will do much.
Just my 2p.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
I was actually surprised that someone noticed a difference with the rear brace. As I said I had one fitted at the front and didn't notice anything.
All this bracing etc. to me is "rat's milk", I think they add more weight than anything else, lol.
Suspension, ARBs and roll cage (as rally58man said) do have an effect on handling, a brace here or there doubt it will do much.
Just my 2p.

Just a few comments..............
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/318715-post13.html

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/672803-post11.html

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/454829-post5.html

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/173406-post6.html

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
This is a Classic Impreza STi front strut brace on mine, tightens up the front a bit.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
The top covers will need some slight alteration :biggrin: Will try for a photo later.

Due to its construction the blade of the brace can be positioned however you want it, horizontal, vertical or anywhere inbetween.

Shown on an early SG but the trimming to the strut top covers would be similar for an SF.
The filled holes just above the cut is where I used to have the button fitted for the cargo nets. Hence the mod for fitting the later SG hooks.

For when the bar is removed Whiteline supply two plastic covers for the protruding parts of the mounting brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I was actually surprised that someone noticed a difference with the rear brace.
It all depends, if you have a parcel shelf welded in like an Impreza 4-door, then yes a plain rear brace is a waste of time, if you have a big empty box like we do, then it certainly reduces the trim squeak from the rear under hard cornering so I guess its doing 'something'!

There was a great video on you tube of a triangulated rear brace (on an Impreza classic) with the triangulations unbolted (they went to the bace of the rear strut towers) under hard cornering they moved about 1/2" relative to the mountings.

Simon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts