Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done it backwards compared to most of the people - I've done turbo, brakes, suspension and then came back to replace the stock cat-back. I was always under the impression that downpipe is all you need to change, and still for the most part I agree.

However Subaru mated 2.5" piping to VF3x/4x series turbo which means that is the bare minimum you can go without sacrificing too much.... which means 2.25" axleback and sharper turns in mid pipe is no good.

There doesn't seem to be any difference when turbo is already spooled, but I definitely notice a difference when I get on the gas... I just seems more smooth and eager to spool the turbo up quicker. Sound is just about right - a tad quieter than my STi with same configuration but that could be because Forester cabin is better sound insulated than STi's.

This is with my 06 STi side by side

I hit the hangers with 4 lb hammer and it got in there just enough with stock hangers, but I think it is still too close for comfort, especially with the hitch. Also, I couldn't get the hanger mounts perfectly perpendicular to the exhaust so the rubber hangers are slightly twisted also - is this going to cause issues?

I got on it pretty hard and came back there seems to be no rubbing with OEM hitch but we will see. I might buy 15mm Kartboy XL hangers after all, but it still wouldn't hang as low since I adjusted the hangers. Not too bad for $80.

Scrap parts headed for basement :biggrin:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Yeah, I kind of miss my old exhaust. Helix 3" catted DP => Maddad 3"to2.5" intermediate pipe w/ flex joint => OEM STi axleback. That axleback has a nice mellow low end growl...sounded just right.

Glad you are enjoying it! When I installed my axleback, I didn't bend any hanger arms...I just utilized the rear two and didn't use the third...also, I used two long KB hangers. Worked great...all the way until it went to heaven :(

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kind of miss my old exhaust. Helix 3" catted DP => Maddad 3"to2.5" intermediate pipe w/ flex joint => OEM STi axleback. That axleback has a nice mellow low end growl...sounded just right.

Glad you are enjoying it! When I installed my axleback, I didn't bend any hanger arms...I just utilized the rear two and didn't use the third...also, I used two long KB hangers. Worked great...all the way until it went to heaven :(
Right, sorry about the accident... What are you running now? Straight 3"?

I just bought two XL hangers off local dealer in case I need it. I've been checking my bumper and hitch for rubbing or burning but there is none. I may still install it just in case.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust clearance was bugging me so I broke down and readjusted the hangers back until it was mostly perpendicular to the exhaust, and put Kartboy hangers on. I was surprised that even with this it really isn't all that lower. I think this is due to STi axleback canister being shorter (but tip is longer). So in order to mate to STi mid pipe, the axle back has to sit a little forward compare to stock, which means my hangers weren't hanging straight up and down, but has a slight forward tilt - this also makes axleback sit a little bit closer to chassis as a result.

Those KB hangers were total pain to put on... you can't just squeeze them like OEM hangers. IMHO increased NVH from these hangers are negligible to me but then I'm used to 06 STi which is nowhere as well insulated as FXT's.

I thought I'd never say this but summer tires and STi exhaust make 4EAT almost bearable. Now I gotta go get 18" Rota Gravels :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Yeah, I ran one with XL KB hangers and my bumper started melting. I ran a WRX-fitment Prodrive for a long time with same hangers and nothing ever melted.

I have a dual-tip MadDad hanging on long NAPA hangers now, I'm planning on putting the stock STi axleback back on and using the NAPA hangers.

If you want nice 18s, buy my Prodrives :icon_wink:

Stan

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Right, sorry about the accident... What are you running now? Straight 3"?

I just bought two XL hangers off local dealer in case I need it. I've been checking my bumper and hitch for rubbing or burning but there is none. I may still install it just in case.
This is when I got run off in my '04. It sacrificed itself to save me so I got an '08. Currently, I am running a Cobb 3" catted DP => apexi SS 2.5" resonated intermediate pipe => TurboXs 2.5" axleback (got sandwiched in my '08 which killed my prodrive oval 2.5" axleback :icon_cry: )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts