1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering what you thinking would cause the following;
During the recent cold snap the South of England had, one of the belts would make a horrible screeching sound on start up for 5 seconds or so. Knowing this was belt related i just put it down to being it being cold. It didnt/doesnt do this in the 'warm' hence my deduction

Then the other day (wednesday) it was making some horrible noise from the belt area (can upload a vid to youtube and cross link it) but that only lasted when the engine was cold and disappeared once warm.

Fast forward to today (i dont drive it daily), no weird sounds coming from but then did 20 miles on the motorway (so 6th gear cruising), come off at a junction and notice that the car is sounding 'wheezy' which then sounds like a cat 'crying', then the water temp. needle started to shoot up to the 3/4 mark,
Turn on the A/C and it brings it back down to normal but it still sounds like a cats crying.

Thought it might have been the dump valve wasnt working but could hear that and the car still looks like it has all its power so not thinking its the turbo.

Ive spoken to the former owner, who is a mechanic who reckons itd take him 90 minutes to take the belts off and check the pulleys etc but then he knows what he is doing and has the tools, whereas i dont, and the garage i use cant see me for 2 weeks due to holiday shut down.

Id have to dig out the records but it had a Gates replacement timing belt/water pump kit within the past 2 years/10k miles done by the former owner if that helps?!

So my questions are;
1. has anyone come across this cat like sound before?
2. Is it really that easy to pop belts on/off for me to check before next week? Ive got another car i can use so its no big deal not driving it but 2 weeks is a long time if you know what i mean

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI SG9 MT6
8 Posts
Gates replacement timing belt/water pump kit within the past 2 years/10k miles done by the former owner if that helps?!
Congratulations, you get to do that all over again. Not so shockingly, chinese contractors have a tendency of producing substandard components if left to their own devices.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the garage has finally got round to looking into the issue and the water pump and associated pulleys are all fine and spin freely, they went to spin the aircon pulley and its not freely spinning and its all 'rusty' looking.

Im sure ive seen a thread about just replacing the clutch and bearings but cant find it now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So for future reference as my garage also trawled through here and other Scooby sites looking for 'clues';
The cat like wheezing sound is coming from within the pump so whilst it works, its also dying and i need to find a 'new' one or have mine refurbed.

The overheating looks to have been caused by a faulty thermostat.

i also had a new water pump/belt kit installed just to be safe but the Gates coming off looks to be in good working condition so ill put that into storage for next time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So an update and conclusion:
Looks like it was just two events coming together that i thought the crying sound and over heating was linked but;
Over heating looks like its from a faulty water pump (gates), just outside its warranty period. All the associated bits and pieces where fine but everything was replaced. Also replaced the thermostat as the previous owner was lead to believe that he paid for it to be done but looks like it was the oem. Anyway turns out that was working fine

Cat like crying sound = supercharger whine = a.c. idler pulley failing = common issue on the Imprezza's. If i had googled supercharger whine at time of issue, id have had the car sorted ages ago but there you go.

Had bit of a nightmare sorting it all out. Replaced the ac bearing (was needed tbh) and sourced a replacement aircon pump. Had it all fitted, new dryer fitted etc. only to find out the new pump is broken and not accepting the charge. So had to have the old one put back on etc etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts