Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the turbo, intercooler,exhaust, ecu, are all different, but what about the pistons, block, heads, crankshaft. It seems the STI would come with special forged pistons , forged crank, bigger valves, heavy duty piston rods, ect, any input.? Just wondering because of all the STI mods you all do on your XT's. Hey I,m a old Chevy Guy, forgive me.! I do own a 05 XT and find this all interesting. :?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
internals for the 05 are the same AFAIK.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
No Forged pistons for the sti They use hyperutectic pistons. I have owned a 04 STi.

·
Registered
398 Posts
XT (04-05) and STi ej25s are identical

They both have forged crank and rods, the pistons, however are cast...

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
DanzBorin said:
XT (04-05) and STi ej25s are identical

They both have forged crank and rods, the pistons, however are cast...
Yes. All the EJ257 long blocks are identical for 04-05. Things changed in 06. The pistons, crank, rods, heads, cams, injectors and intake are all the same (the STI intake is painted red but is physically the same). You just have a tall STI wagon...so enjoy. The exhaust manifold is different. This seems to be, IMHO, why our cars with the same mods as the STI make less peak hp but seem to have more torque and a slightly flatter curve.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wadejg said:
Yes. All the EJ257 long blocks are identical for 04-05. Things changed in 06. The pistons, crank, rods, heads, cams, injectors and intake are all the same (the STI intake is painted red but is physically the same). You just have a tall STI wagon...so enjoy. The exhaust manifold is different. This seems to be, IMHO, why our cars with the same mods as the STI make less peak hp but seem to have more torque and a slightly flatter curve.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
So it must be the painted red intake.;)

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
sunnyside said:
So it must be the painted red intake.;)
Yes, the red paint is worth quite a few horsepower. That's probably why Ferrari use it on the Testarossa...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Silverbullet555 said:
I'm sure this has been discussed, bu I couldn't seem to locate it.
My BIL has an 05 STI and did a Catback exhaust. So he has a stock STI exhaust sitting in his garage. I could get it for change and shipping.

Is it worth putting on my 05 FXT and will it provide any benefit?
it has a smaller resonator and bigger piping in the axleback...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts