Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium and the stereo has the worst sound I have ever encountered. Not sure about the CD but radio is really bad. Is it the speakers or the head unit or both. I already feel like this car isn't worth it's price and regreat not buying the Tiguan...

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
true, I have the same awful experience compare with my '06 passat. I just had it a week but start thinking to upgrade the stereo system. What I did so far was, add bass to max and fade the volume to the back speakers. Hope it will help.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
The stereo?

Just pucked up 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium and the stereo has the worst sound I have ever encountered. Not sure about the CD but radio is really bad. Is it the speakers or the head unit or both. I already feel like this car isn't worth it's price and regreat not buying the Tiguan...
Hi f650gs,
Congrats on your new Forester. I love my 09 Fox X Limited. :bananapartyhat: Your post is a bit surprising, only because most (not all of course) people buy Subies with a couple of other things in mind-- the low, flat four, the symmetrical AWD, and outstanding centered transmission. There are def other reasons too, like crash and safety ratings...but I won't bore you with what you already know.

I feel you tho...I traded in my VW Golf for the Foz and was sad when I heard the difference between the Sub stock speakers and VW's Monsoon system. Oh well. Yeah, I'm a VW fan...I checked out the Tiguan too. Although Tiguan has a great look, good engine, and a good stereo (ahem):huh:, undoubtedly, you will not find a better AWD design than your Subaru, the Tiguan included. You get better gas mileage, better front to back power ratio, and a much safer car.

Although, the Tiguan has a better stereo, IMHO, the Subie AWD system (engine and tranny) beats the crap out of the VW 4motion AWD system any day. :chair: With what you saved by not buying a Tiguan, you should run down to your local Best Buy, grab an amp, buy some two or three-way component speakers and voila-- your stereo problem is solved.

Happy trails! :rock:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,515 Posts
Just pucked up 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium and the stereo has the worst sound I have ever encountered. Not sure about the CD but radio is really bad. Is it the speakers or the head unit or both. I already feel like this car isn't worth it's price and regreat not buying the Tiguan...
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from another Oregonian! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester purchase! :cool:

In the earlier models, adding the optional door tweeter made a world of difference. If your new Forester didn't come with them, it might be worth a try. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on the new Forester, and hopefully you will grow to like it more. Yes, the radio isn't that great and the cup holders are square. A good test drive should have gotten these issues out of the way before you bought it. Now that you own it and have at least several grand in your pocket over the Tiguan, go to Best Buy and get a better head unit and some speakers. Problem solved.

If you want to keep the head unit, a couple of members here have upgraded the front door speakers and added a small amp with good results. Replacing either just the head unit or just the speakers wont give satisfactory results.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
f650,

The stock radio is a joke. I tried to work with it for the longest time because I was all about the "aesthetics" and keeping things looking stock. But... in the end, I couldn't make it work. Once I purchased an aftermarket radio all was right in the world again. LOL. Seriously, that is the single best advice anyone can offer you here (and many will). I wish I would have done it much earlier. If you purchase the stock tweeters and change out the head unit you'll be amazed how good the FACTORY speakers will sound. Plus, the aftermarket head unit might actually blend better with the interior then the factory unit, mine sure does. I purchased a Pioneer double din and have been very happy with it. You can see the pics on one of my threads. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I knew I was getting a bad stereo when I test drove the car. I have never used a stock stereo in any car I have bought so it really was not an issue. I bought the Forester for the rest of the car and I could not be happier. Even with the tweeters it is a below average stereo. Unfortunately both the head unit and speakers need to be replaced to get decent sound (and preferably with an amp).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
is your antenna screwed in? sometimes when techs get the cars off the truck and have to PDI (pre delivery inspect) them, they dont screw the antenna in all the way. and it can cause some static and poor sound while listening to the radio. our foresters are the only ones that come off the truck without the antenna, makes sense, right? :crazy:

anyway, if thats not the case good luck upgrading, or dealing with the radio. having a nice exhaust note is all i need :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts