Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to do some maintenance on my Pioneer head unit today unfortunately. Took the time to do a quick write up since I could not find one on this site. Tried to be as specific as possible, any questions just PM me. Sorry for crappy pics, left camera at the girls place.

Start off by disconnecting both HVAC cables under the driver side and passenger side of the dash. If you back feels likes it going to break when removing HVAC cables your doing it right. This must be done so the HVAC bezel can be pulled far enough out of the way to access radio bracket screws.

Driver side cable end.

Passenger side cable end.

Once the HVAC cables are disconnected proceed to unscrew the shift knob.

Use your fingers to gently pull up rear of shift trim to release rear most clips

Pull front section of shift trim down, out, and up to free front most clips.

Disconnect the cigarette lighter/power outlet. Place shift knob trim somewhere safe!

Don't be a fool, wrap your shift knob threads to prevent gnawing up your HVAC bezel

Remove 2 screws on bottom of HVAC bezel

Use your fingers to gently pry and release lower HVAC bezel clips

Stop when you get the bottom clips released.

Find a plastic dash component friendly pry tool.

Gently, Gently working from bottom to top use a twisting motion with pry tool to release upper stubborn HVAC bezel clips. Do not force them. Sometimes pulling the bezel downward will help release clips. Please be careful not to break.

Release the clip for the hazard switch wiring. Pull bezel back and out of way, you do not need to remove whole bezel. Just move it out of way to access screws for radio bracket. Don't bother with the fan speed wire clips.

With the HVAC bezel pulled forward and out of the way remove 2 upper radio bracket screws.

...and 2 lower screws.

Pull unit out and up. Be careful! The 4 screw tabs stick out and just want to leave scratches on your dash if handled carelessly! Hold the unit and take the time to disconnect all wiring to the head unit. Then place unit on front seat or where every you want to bring it.

To remove head unit from brackets just remove the 2 machine thread screws on each side.

And just do the opposite of what you did to remove to reinstall.

As for wiring, if your installing a new head unit to replace factory, remember to Solder and use Heat Shrink Tubing if connecting the harness yourself.

► Edit - moderator's note - the images on this post are not recoverable. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea I think the harness became loose. The HVAC bezel is a bit of a PITA but its not terrible. I had my head unit out in 10 min.

Hope you guys can find this help in the future. Ill replace some of the crappy pics with better ones soon.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced one of the crappy photos and added a few more lines of text to be as specific and accurate as possible for this removal. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts
Yeah my vent control? (far right knob) gets stuck sometimes now that I've taken it all apart... Grr..
It's important to note how the control cables were routed when they're removed, so they can be reinstalled the same way. If the cables are routed differently, they can hang up or pop out of the retaining clips.

Take a look at the PDF I posted at the bottom of this write up in my Member Journal: Audio Upgrade - Part 4

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
43 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a tutorial for installing a cd player into a 2000 Forester? I'm having the hardest time with this one! Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium Auto
23 Posts
Great writeup. Stupid question: I have a 2010 Forester, when I disconnect the battery to replace factory hu do I have to reset anything to get it to start again? Or do I just hook it back up and turn on the stereo? Thx.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Premium Automatic
87 Posts
Hello - I know this thread is old, but I see that none of the photos in the original post are there. I am very interested in seeing the pics for this, as I am interested in swapping out my stereo as well (do people still USE CDs????). THANKS!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts