Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing a lot of research for my new foz. And I had pretty much decided on what I was going to get, but now I am having second thoughts. Here is a list of the equipment I plan on getting:

-Clarion DUZ385SAT 2-DIN HU
-MB Quart DSH216 Discus Series 6 1/2 Components
-powered by Soundstream PCX2.180
-2 Kicker 07CVR82's
-powered by Soundstream Di475.1

The two things I am second guessing are the MB Quart components and the PCX2.180. This would be my first time with MB Quarts and I just want to make sure I am making a good choice. Fliptwister recommended these Precision Power PPI 356CS 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix on a recent post, #14 on this thread- http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/fliptwister-2010-forester-x-stereo-build-log-62338/. Are they worth the $40 or would you stick with the MBQ's. With the soundstream, I have heard that the newer amps just aren't up to the quality as their older stuff, is this true? If so do you have any suggestions. The PCX is about $100 at sonicelectronix and I want to stay at that price point. I already bought the Di475, as it was on sale for CHEAP and couldn't pass it up.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The MB Quart sound great for the price. I run them in my X.

Soundstream use to be "made in the USA" and was nice quality stuff. They went out of business back around 2001, and the name was sold to a company that slaps "Soundstream" onto crappy Chinese made amps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with sea-scooby. It looks pretty good besides the amp. Budget 2 channel amps for around $100 - $130 that do 50 - 80 watts RMS that I would consider include:
JBL GTO752 (75 watts x 2 RMS @4 ohm)
MB Quart DSC 280 (80 watts x 2 RMS @ 4 ohm)
PowerBass ASA 300.2x (75 watts x 2 RMS @4 ohm)
Rockford Fosgate PRIME R150-2 (50 watts x 2 RMS @4 ohm)

My top pick of the above is the MB Quart. I just picked up the 4 channel version and I'm very impressed. It is a quality amp for the price and it has very clean sound.

edit: I just re-read your post and realized that you are running components and subs. I would get one 4 channel amp and bridge the 3rd and 4th channels for the subs. That is what I'm doing. I would get the MB Quart DSC 480. It is 80 watts RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms. 2 channels bridged is 320 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

Sea-scooby- not what I wanted to hear about soundstream. I'm hoping the Di475 will get it done with my subs. Should I think about returning that (not sure if I can) and looking for something else?? Again, it will be pushing 2 Kicker 8" comp VR's. If I can return should I look for a 4 channel?? Suggestions if you think this is the right way to go?

If I still go with two amps- I can get the MBQ DSC 2150 at Sonic- it's in my price range.

Anyone else care to weigh in- Precision Power or MBQ's???

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flip- not sure if I'm going to be able to get the 4-channel. I can't return the amp that I have already purchased so it looks like I'll just go with two amps and stick with the MBQ's.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The amp will work fine, so if you have it already go with it. It's not the quality of the older stuff, but it still does the job. It will sound fine and will be MUCH better than stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have to check the impedance of the subs and the load rating on the amplifier. Most amps (way back when I was in car audio) are rated for a 2 ohm load stereo. When bridging an amplifier, the effective load on the amplifier is double the stereo load - Two 4 ohm subs bridged is a two ohm load on a single channel, but a 1 ohm load on a bridged amp. Many amplifiers will probably not deal with such a load very well and even if they can deal with such a load, it doesn't always make sense to do so.

The reason for this is that though bridging an amplifier (in theory) doubles power output, it also decreases the damping effect the amplifier has on the driver - less damping = less definition - and nobody like sloppy bass. Lastly, doubling power is really something desirable as for every doubling of power, you get 3db of extra sound. 3db is generally considered the threshold of what most people are capable of noticing. In other words, barely louder at all.

Regarding four channel amps, it is virtually always advantageous to have discrete amplification; especially when half of the amp will be powering bass and super-especially when bridging. Stick with 2+2 unless you are confident in the power supply of the four channel amp or are upgrading to something of considerably better quality.

I can't speak for specific equipment as I've been out of the biz for nearly 15 years, but the physics of car audio hasn't changed. Buy quality and don't worry so much about power unless you like to play your system at extremely high levels. 50 watts from a good amplifier is a lot of power - even for bass.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mojidoji, thanks for the input. This is part of the reason I am just going to go with two amps. The kickers are 2 ohm dvc's and I was trying to work out how I would wire that bridged to a 4-channel (and get around the problems you mentioned- although you seem to have a much better graps on the techincals than I do). While I have some knowledge of car audio and have done a few installations- they were pretty simple- and I definitely dont have the knowledge that you have. So thanks again. Given the setup, I think 2- 2channel amps is the way to go. Plus I think fitting a 4-channel under a seat would be a tight fit, and that is definitely where I want to mount them.

Sea-scooby- thanks for the assurance on the amp, still wish I would have asked before I bought it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brandon,

With two dual voice-coil subs @ 2 ohms per voice coil (4-2 ohm voice coils), getting a 4 ohm mono load (4 ohms at the input to the amplifier, for an effective 2 ohm load whilst bridged) won't be possible. You can get to an 8 ohm load by running all four voice coils in series or a 2 ohm load with a combination of series and parallel. Running stereo really doesn't buy you anything either - you can get either 4 ohms or 1 ohm connecting the subs in series or parallel, respectively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts