Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chomping at the bit to install the stereo and still doing a lot of research. Heard the Axxess was a good steering wheel adapter for the aftermarket head units. I get on their website and look up how to install one: http://documents.victorytechnologies.com/documents/vehicle/10987.pdf

So, I feel like this after reading it: :crazy:

I clicked on a wrong info link to email this:

Wrong information found on 2009 SUBARU FORESTER 4DR SUV WITH 2.5L ENGINE AND STANDARD AUDIO SYSTEM.

Dear Sir or Madame,

I actually have a 2010 2.5X Limited without navigation stereo. This vehicle should be exactly the same as the 2009. I purchased a Kenwood DNX5140 and am interested in your ASWC product.

First, the instructions say to connect a 3.5mm connector to the Kenwood in your link here: http://documents.victorytechnologies.com/documents/vehicle/10987.pdf I do not see any such connector with the DNX5140 stereo. Secondly, the instructions say to connect pin 4 of the factory harness to the ASWC (gray/red wire) and to ground pin 14 of the factory harness. I believe the illustration pin view of the factory harness connector is incorrect (please see the Subaru attachments). The Subaru wiring harness diagram shows 4 and 14 to be aligned vertically and in different places than the pins on your link. Your pins 4 and 14 would translate to pins 6 and 15 on the Subaru wiring harness illustration. These are speaker leads (LR+, RR-), and wiring them to ground or the ASWC device could seriously damage the amplifier or more in a very expensive head unit!

In conclusion, I believe the wire on pin 4 would be steering + and the wire on pin 14 to be steering - (connector i85 in the Subaru attachments). It would make sense to me to do what your instructions say for these pins, but would have possible damaging results using your pin view illustration. If I am missing something here, I deeply apologize. Just want to know how your product works before purchasing one. Please let me know if I have made a critical error in my assessment. Looking forward to your reply.

Your potential customer,

Justin

Anyone have anything else to add that I may be missing?

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
The ASWC instructions have the correct Subaru pin numbers for the cars' two SWC wires (4 and 14), but their connector pin diagram is Nissan's and/or PAC's :icon_rolleyes:

So if you refer to the Subaru pin diagram in that jpg attachment (which I originally created) you'll be fine.

The ASWC module has a 3.5mm plug for the SWC connection to the HU. Most HUs have a compatible 3.5mm jack for that. Kenwoods and some Eclipses have a plain wire.

Look over Axxess' instructions again -- they're telling you to use the extra adapter that they provide. It has a 3.5mm female jack on one end, and plain wires on the opposite end. Solder the adapter's Brown wire to your HU's wire, and then connect that jack to the module's 3.5mm plug.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ASWC instructions have the correct Subaru pin numbers for the cars' two SWC wires (4 and 14), but their connector pin diagram is Nissan's and/or PAC's :icon_rolleyes:

So if you refer to the Subaru pin diagram in that jpg attachment (which I originally created) you'll be fine.

The ASWC module has a 3.5mm plug for the SWC connection to the HU. Most HUs have a compatible 3.5mm jack for that. Kenwoods and some Eclipses have a plain wire.

Look over Axxess' instructions again -- they're telling you to use the extra adapter that they provide. It has a 3.5mm female jack on one end, and plain wires on the opposite end. Solder the adapter's Brown wire to your HU's wire, and then connect that jack to the module's 3.5mm plug.
Cool, thanks. Seems silly to use a 3.5mm plug for only one conductor.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hey SVXdc. I looked at the instructions again and the two statements I see are: If you are using an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, plug the female 3.5mm connector with the Brown and Brown/White wires into the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC harness.

and: * For Kenwood radios: Connect the Kenwood SWC wire (normally Blue/Yellow) to the Brown wire of the ASWC. Isolate and tape the Brown/White wire, it will not be used.

Now, I may be totally mental, but unless I'm missing something - not seeing any mention of an extra adapter. Connect the blue/yellow with the brown, but not abundantly clear for sure. Well, thanks for clearing it up at any rate. May have to get one of these.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Cool, thanks. Seems silly to use a 3.5mm plug for only one conductor.
The 3.5mm plug has three pins. Some cars use more wires. As I said, most HUs have a jack that this plugs directly into. PAC Audio's SWI modules have that plug too.

Now, I may be totally mental, but unless I'm missing something - not seeing any mention of an extra adapter. Connect the blue/yellow with the brown, but not abundantly clear for sure.
Bottom of page 1 of the ASWC's Subaru-specific instructions:
If you are using an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, plug the female 3.5mm connector with the Brown and Brown/White wires into the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC harness.
You do also have to read the main (generic) ASWC install doc (PDF download), in addition to the car-specific doc (the PDF for Subarus you posted above). The main doc has drawings of the harnesses.

Picture of kit from Sonic Electonix:
aswc.jpg

Axxess' car-specific database has some other problems -- looking for Legacy/Outback pulls up a document for Suzukis :icon_rolleyes: (which again, lists the correct Subaru pin numbers but shows the wrong harness picture).

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Thanks for clarifying that. Looks like I may have to hunt one of these things down.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
16 Posts
Has anyone actually had success installing an Axxess interface module with their '09-'10 Subi?

I am going to attempt this tomorrow and I am a bit nervous! :confused:

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium 5MT
73 Posts
Were you able to get Axxess to work?

Any idea how to make Axxess work with a Pioneer P4400BH?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
272 Posts
I have done it and it works fine. My Pioneer HU did have the 3 1/2 mm plug. The only mismatch on my car is the fact that there are more switches on the steering wheel than the HU can handle, so the voice command switch has no function.

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium 5MT
73 Posts
My Pioneer HU has 3.5mm jack as well.

I'm just unable to understand what this means:
Resistance Type Control System YES
Reference Ground Wire Color YELLOW
Reference Ground Polarity (-)
Reference Ground Location RADIO HARNESS
Reference Ground Pin # 14
Control Wire 1 Wire Color LIGHT GREEN/RED
Control Wire 1 Polarity (-)
Control Wire 1 Location RADIO HARNESS
Control Wire 1 Pin # 4

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
272 Posts
My Pioneer HU has 3.5mm jack as well.

I'm just unable to understand what this means:
Resistance Type Control System YES
Reference Ground Wire Color YELLOW
Reference Ground Polarity (-)
Reference Ground Location RADIO HARNESS
Reference Ground Pin # 14
Control Wire 1 Wire Color LIGHT GREEN/RED
Control Wire 1 Polarity (-)
Control Wire 1 Location RADIO HARNESS
Control Wire 1 Pin # 4
You got to get a harness from SVXdc

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium 5MT
73 Posts
I guess it is the missing pin #14 in the harness I got from amazon.com.

How do I purchase from SVXdc?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts