Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday the wifey the kids and myself traveled down to my good friends house for his boys 6 yo bday party. He had already told me his sister would be coming down also driving her brand spanking new 2006 Roush Mustang. I have never been a big fan of mustangs or domestics in general but I have always had a passion for the 60's and early 70's muscle cars. So she arrives and I am already admiring the car as she is backing it in the drive. This car was bright red with white racing stripes so it was pretty sweet in my opinion. She has had it now for about 3 weeks and has only gathered about 1k miles on the odo. So I ask my buddy to see if she will let us take it for a spin, with him driving of course. Without hesitation she tosses him the keys. I hopped into the passenger seat like some 16 year old getting the keys to pops old beater. I am 34yo as of today btw. So we take off easily out of the drive and down the road. At the stop sign he yanks up the brake and says you drive. Now my buddy has a 98 cobra so he has no problem letting me in the drivers seat when most normal people want all the time they can get. So I get in the drivers seat and take off with ease. I didn't want to get on it right away but I did want to get a feel for the car. Compared to his 98 the new 06 is like night and day in all possible ways. The ride is more comfortable and well refined. Handling is much tighter and steering is very responsive. The tranny shifts much eaiser than his and even smoother than my XT. The cockpit is not as cramped feeling as his and the lay out is more attractive. Even though he feels her car would leave him in the dust I feel that both of them deliver the same amount of power to the ground. With her Roush I was able to chirp 2nd and 3rd gears when taking it from a dead stop. In his cobra I have never chirped any gear nor have I been able to smoke the tires off the line. His tranny sucks that bad. Both cars are rated the same as far as crank power but I think from a dead stand she would come out on top due to his suckhole tranny. In the end, I was extremely impressed with the 2006 Roush Sport Mustang. Like I mentioned, I have never even considered owning a mustang, camaro, trans am, or any other so called muscle car. Classics not included. However, if I was not the avid Subaru enthusiast that I am I just might be driving a car like this. Who else has driven the new mustang and what do you think?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I think you need to have a happy birthday, Jami.

Then, when you come to your senses, mod your FXT to make enough WHP to smoke both of these things... LOL

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
The mustang sure is a nice looker, but where do you put the 2.5 kids and the dog?

And whats the MPG going to be like?

I'd love a car like that but I know i'd regret it the first time I went to one of the farms I visit or needed to move equipment.

Mike

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
I agree with mykp. I'm sure it would be a fun car to drive for a day... but I have a number of reasons why I would never own one.

1. The Mustang may haul a$$, but in addition to that, my FXT hauls dogs, kids, furniture, and lumber.
2. Red speeding ticket generator!
3. I prefer a car that can handle in the twisties instead of just being fast in a straight line.
4. The FXT can handle inclement weather and snowy trips to the mountains; AWD FTW!
5. I'd never own a Ford again. Ever. Except in Europe.

Happy birthday Jami!

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all of the above, exactly why I have owned 3 different Subaru's.
With kids and 2 dogs, two bikes, and a need for cargo space I am completely devoted to my XT. Don't you guys worry and thanks for the birthday wishes. I am now off to celebrate with a little food, friends, and spirits.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
pleiad7 said:
1. The Mustang may haul a$$, but in addition to that, my FXT hauls dogs, kids, furniture, and lumber.
Could this be a future marketing slogan for Subaru :confused:

mike

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Happy Birthday Jami!!!! (a little late)

I really like the new Mustangs, and certainly wouldn't turn down a chance to take one for a spin (I'm jealous that you got to, a Rouche non-the-less). Wouldn't plunk down the $$$ for one though. I love my sleepy, off-road capable, wagon way toooo much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts