Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Spec C steering wheel installed last year. Last week when i noticed that my Airbag light is lit. When I start the engine to warm it up it comes off after a few seconds, then when i start driving and turn the steering wheel to the right, it comes on and stays on. Anyone experiencing this issue?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Sounds like a bad roll connector (aka clock spring)

this thing behind the wheel:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Wonder if he had to cut wires?

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
if the light is on that usually means it's disabled the SRS system. If it happens when you turn the wheel sounds like the airbag. There is a way to pull a code for the airbag, search SRS system on www.endwrench.com Should be info there.

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Peaty,
How much this clock spring cost and where can i order one?
thanks
jake
Peaty said:
Sounds like a bad roll connector (aka clock spring)

this thing behind the wheel:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
I think they cost around 125 -150 new. Not sure about that you can check with one of our OEM vendors here. Or you can try to get a used one possibly.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
dizizjake said:
I don't know, but u think my air bag still works?
Passenger and side airbags should still work, but IIRC the Spec C steering wheel does not have an airbag.........

Might want to get that code scanned first...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what wheel you have, but here is what Racecomp Engineering's site says, if its any help:

"STi Spec C Steering Wheel Assembly
Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with distinctive silver & black airbag. STi logo on center of airbag. Comes complete with airbag roll-connector. Installation may require some cutting and soldering due to connector differences on some models. Note: Soldering of airbag circuits should be done in such a way that circuit integrity and reliability is maintained."

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yuppers,
My Spec C Steering wheel has an Airbag.
Something went wrong with my clock spring.

Hondaslayer said:
Passenger and side airbags should still work, but IIRC the Spec C steering wheel does not have an airbag.........

Might want to get that code scanned first...

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, great news everyone, I went to the dealership this morning and have them checked my FXT's clock spring, the technician run a code on my car and they did find that the clock spring is "kaput" no good. So they ordered the parts and they will notify me when parts comes in. they will fix it @no charge....thank God!!!!
:D

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
That is good news, glad you got it sorted out.

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am so grateful.
I called my tech at the dealership and explain to him the scenario. He told me to make an appointment and he will take a look at it. So i took it to the dealership when they gave me my car back and sign a paperwork it says no charge. Parts are ordered.
Thank you Lord!!! i said to myself.
Peaty said:
That is good news, glad you got it sorted out.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
as a quick FYI: (to prove just how lucky you are) buying a used clockspring can be dodgy. From what i've read, they're very very easy to damage by rolling them too far in one direction or another.

What may have happened when yours was re-installed after the wheel swap, was that it got rotated a full revolution in one direction or another (did you notice that your turn signals didn't turn off when they should have?)

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
From what i've read, they're very very easy to damage by rolling them too far in one direction or another.
Same goes for the whole car :tongue:

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. my signal light switch is fine. I have my original clock springs in the car.
It's just that God is with me.....:D

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Peaty said:
Same goes for the whole car :tongue:
:spinnasmiley I really need to take some pics of my SF... my avatar is only the beginning. I haven't rolled it, but the only evidence to the contrary is that the roof is doing good.

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheeeeew!!!! Alas!!! My steering clock spring has been replaced and now is back to normal again.
No more anoying airbag indicator light on.
Thank God!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts