Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was driving and went over a slightly ruff part of the road. Shortly after the steering wheel started to shake back and forth. I pulled off and did a walk around and inspected all the steering components and nothing was showing. The pump did start making noise when steering almost was at lock. I was wondering if the pump could be going out. I was just down the road to my house so I went back and used another vehicle. On the way back, it was fine :unsure::unsure:. Not chancing it tho. If the pump was not working, would the steering shake when driving over ruff road at low speeds? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,462 Posts
Sounds like something got rattled loose and you are pulling air in the lines. Yes if you've got air in the lines the wheel shakes when moving back and forth. Doesn't necessarily mean the pump is bad...but air is in there somehow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So looking at it, if there was air in there, there isnt anymore. but i need to replace my CV joints shortly and i was wondering if that may contribute with a torque steer scenario. my steering stuff does need work, however, the CV joints need attention first. Could it have been a "Change me you idiot" type of thing or would it still have something to do with the powersteering? (And it only did it the one time. hasnt done it again. 😐)

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,462 Posts
I'm not a power steering expert but the air in the lines won't necessarily stay there...if something was getting rattled around I could envision a scenario where air got pulled in temporarily and then sealed back up after the rattling was done...then you get the rattling steering wheel until the air works its way out.

Then I had an STI rack installed I had this rattling when turning at low speeds initially while the pump was working the air out. after a short time the rattling stopped....so that's about the extent of my experience with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, I think that may have happened. Ill make sure i have everything tightened. Thank you for the Help. And have you ever had to replace CV axles on a suba? If So, what do you think is a good place to get them? I dont want to get them from subaru (They cost over $400 and time to actually get it) and Orielly's are said to be crap. Advanced auto parts dont seem great either. Autozone is wishy washy on reviews. I almost want to go pull 2 off some suba's at a pull a part place I know of. What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts