Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Planning on doing an 'all-in' install in a few weeks and I am trying to figure out what I need in advance so that I don't get stuck mid-way through.

To be installed:
Have-
2004 STI Steering Rack
2004 WRX Suspension (Pre Assembled)
2004 STI Lateral Links

Need to get-
STI Steering Rack Bushings
3/8" Saggy Butt Spacers
ATF Fluid

Intending-
New Hardware on all installed parts (due to corrosion)

Supplies-
PB Blaster
Breaker Bar

What am I missing that I will need for this process? Are there any specialtly tools you have found that are very helpful w/ these installs?

thanks
-mark

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Sounds reasonable, although you may have problems getting that much negative camber out of stock bolts. You should get close though.

Don't forget PB Blaster and anti-seize. I won't work on any car without those nowadays. And a breaker bar.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
I'd grap a torque wrench (even a cheap Harbor Freight one) and some stubby wrenches for getting the steering rack lines off. There isn't alot of space to turn a full size wrench in there. Other than that, read every sticky on this site about it, grab a buddy to help, and it should go great. Post up your before and after pics too!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd grap a torque wrench (even a cheap Harbor Freight one) and some stubby wrenches for getting the steering rack lines off. There isn't alot of space to turn a full size wrench in there. Other than that, read every sticky on this site about it, grab a buddy to help, and it should go great. Post up your before and after pics too!
Already read s much as possible, taking it to the next level of cya here.
Good call on stubby wrenches. Sears here I come!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Already read s much as possible, taking it to the next level of cya here.
Good call on stubby wrenches. Sears here I come!
Excellent! It should go pretty smooth for you. BTW, I got so into my install I forgot to install the spacers in the rear. I had one side completely buttoned up and the other almost done, when I realized I hadn't put the spacers in! :chair:

Luckily that was the least of my problems, and an easy fix. :icon_biggrin: Good luck.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Good luck, I'm doing my STI rack either this weekend or next weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes, and any problems I run into!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Are you going to put new tie rod ends on? Do you have an extra set of the big bolts for the outter ends of the lateral links? Otherwise should be pretty smooth. Can't wait to get my own sti rack installed!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you going to put new tie rod ends on? Do you have an extra set of the big bolts for the outter ends of the lateral links? Otherwise should be pretty smooth. Can't wait to get my own sti rack installed!
I was just going to install it as I got it. What are the benefits of tie rod ends?

I will be getting new mounting hardware for everything I can, as the underbody is pretty corroded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts