Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,062 Posts
I think you can get a seal kit , but you need special tools. I don't know what those tools are. If you have never done one you probably wasting your time.I would 1ST try Lucas power steering leak oil. If that dosen't work i would either upgrade or get a good used or rebuilt that comes with a warranty and has bee pressure tested.:icon_frown:OHH i would try and siphon as much old fluid out and put fresh fliud along with lucas additive.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Are you 100% sure its from the rack and not the lines? I've seen the lines work slightly loose on a few causing fluid to run down to the rack and look like the rack itself was leaking.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you're seeing oil leaking from the boot, the boot may be ruptured and allowing weepage accumulated over some time to leak out. I just replaced a steering gear boot on my 99 Forester yesterday, and boot has no drain. I would expect some oil to bypass the seals w/ time and if boot cracks it would look like a lot of leakage. Inspect your boot carefully and replace if damaged.

Boot replacement is fairly easy, but the exhaust Y pipe is obstructing for the LH side (side I had to fix). I also had an exhaust leak and pulled the y-pipe and catalytic converters to find the leak (bolt loosened on Y-pipe/cat connection). New OEM boot is $27 from local dealer. You have to disconnect tie rod ball joint and remove tie-rod end to remove/install boot.

Removal of entire steering rack does not appear to be a very difficult job. I thought I might have damaged the rack seals w/ the broken boot, but all was clean when I accessed to replace, so I'm hoping the seals were'nt damaged.

good luck

·
Registered
asdf dsafdsf
1 Posts
I would expect some oil to bypass the seals w/ time and if boot cracks it would look like a lot of leakage. Inspect your boot carefully and replace if damaged.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Don't wait long to replace the boot, or you may need to replace the rack&pinion. As rack extends it is exposed to dirt that may be pulled back against seals (not good).

When I replaced my boot (don't know how long it was ruptured), it was clean under the boot. I wiped all grime away and replaced boot. It's easy w/ Subaru boot and screwed boot clamp. Original boot clamp was the crimped variety that is a ***** to do in place.

good luck

·
Registered
2006 Forester
657 Posts
I would 1ST try Lucas power steering leak oil.
Add the Lucas and keep an eye on your fluid level, you'll know if it is the rack internal seals that were bad if you don't lose any more fluid. Lucas swells the internal seals and stops fluid loss from the rack, and they guarantee 100% success on the bottle. I used Lucas on my wife's car a few months ago when I figured out the leak must be in the rack, and it worked like a charm, no more leak/fluid loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts