Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone confirm the size of the steering rack bushings on a 04 FXT? Is it 25mm or 30mm? KSR200 or KSR202?

And what is the measurement for? Diameters?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it's KSR202 that I need. And I'm guessing the measurement is for the width of the bracket.

Can someone confirm though? Also has anyone with an 04 FXT had to order KSR200 instead of KSR202?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
You can also just get the superpro ones. they are made by fulcrum too (they make whiteline's) and are cheaper. i have both and can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Canada though. I don't think they sell those here. Cheapest I can find for whiteline is $40. And the superpro ones sell for $25 in the U.S. After taxes and shipping, it's gonna come out pretty close.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Yes, there was some confusion before because Subaru had given some 2.5is the older rack which used the smaller bushings, but I am able to confirm that the NAs do in fact share the same steering rack as XTs, so yeah, all SG (5s and 9s) use 30mm.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Ugh it's a b*tch doing it laying down underneath because you're pulling out the old bushing and then trying to squeeze the new one in (my alignment guy recommends NO grease, since it'll do you no good in its intended purpose.

Time is about an hour, as it's mostly the removal and install of new bushing that's time consuming. Moving the lines of the way help a lot.

It's not difficult, just that it's a b*tch if you have no leverage underneath the car. Up on ramps at the minimum!

Oh and try to make sure you don't move the rack too much (or just mark it before doing anything) because it can affect your alignment. Or just do the install during an alignment is the easy way.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking under the car yesterday and the space is very very tight under there. Which leads me to another question, for the XTs, is it recommended/necessary to drop the rack? I'm hesitant to mess with it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steering column linkage, that's what I meant. Don't want to mess with that either :icon_cool:

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Oh hmm I dont remember doing anything with the linkage.. but i have bad memory (mr. goldfish here :lol:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts