Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while chanding oil, I noticed that my right rubber boot is torn.
I am talking steering rubber boots here, I think thats what they are called, the ones in the middle of the car, not the CV joint ones.

It looks like they got ripped sometime ago, as the greese is on some of the surrouding parts. There are two pieces now, they are completely detached, and I can see the metal bar.

Can I drive on it for a few weeks or should it be replaced ASAP.
How risky, if any, is to drive with this thing torn? :icon_question:
Any idea how much repair like this can cost?

Thanks!

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
there was never a reply? :icon_frown:
Probably because it is not a big issue. We waited a year to get ours replaced on the 98 and everything is fine.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Automatic
84 Posts
well my steering boots are torn and it's just been added to the list of things to do after I get a wheel bearing replaced.

I think these boots are called "bellow boots"

·
Registered
2002 Forester Automatic
84 Posts
I just changed my steering rack a couple months ago! I rode on those torn boots for well over 3 years. The rack was leaking by the inner tie rods the last two years.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
I guess waiting too long is not advisable. We may have been lucky.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
269 Posts
It depends where you drive. If you're on dusty roads a lot, get them changed sooner than if you drive on freeways; grit will get up there, and may destroy the seals on the steering rack.

To change them isn't that hard. ISTR the boots are about $25 each; split the steering arm at the outer tie-rod, remove the large band on the thick end of the bellow, and the clip on the small end, and slide everything out. Replacement is the reversal; if you can't get the new large band on, bin it and use a large zip tie; there's no stress on that point. You'll need to go for an alignment after doing this. I'd allow an hour each side to make this change.

·
Registered
2002 Forester manual
21 Posts
I am going to replace the boots this weekend. Anyone know if I need to remove the inner tie to do so, or will the boot be able to slide over the joint?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts