Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was Round 4 at Candlestick. We had the whole parking to ourselves so it was an exceptionally long SoloII course.

Anyway, at the end of my first run I got out to check tire pressures and noticed some wet spots inside the right front wheel. So I get down to look under the car and find some fluid dripping off the trailing edge of the plastic skid plate. I chose to end my auto-x session right away and drove home without incident.

This morning, I crawled under the car to find source of the leak. My oil and brake fluid levels were fine, yet the power steering fluid was at COLD MIN. Normally I do a fair job of making sure all the reservoirs are topped off, so this was unusual.

Power steering fluid had sprayed out from a fitting on the return line just above the steering rack.

Those fittings are hard to reach. The best way to get to them is from underneath the car. There is one for each line and each requires a different size wrench.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Excellent contribution. Thanks for your awesome picture!

So did you just tighten the bolt? how did you do it?

do you think this problem stemmed from autoX? or do you think it could happen with normal wear and tear?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sleepy said:
Excellent contribution. Thanks for your awesome picture!
Have to give SOA props for the picture because it was from the Forester ESM. :wink:
sleepy said:
So did you just tighten the bolt? how did you do it?
It's actually a union and took two wrenches (one was stubby and the other was adjustable). I tightened them fairly snug without hamfisting it.
sleepy said:
do you think this problem stemmed from autoX? or do you think it could happen with normal wear and tear?
I don't think auto-x'ing was the culprit. SOA replaced my shortblock awhile back and this is probably one of those things that didn't get tightened properly. (this is also why my radiator failed...the tabs on top were skewed and caused the plastic top to separate at the seam)

FYI there have been related issues in the past with the early WRX's regarding loose power steering fittings. This is a first IIRC for the SG Forester on this board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts