Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didn't really find any relating to the rattle seeming to come from the steering column. Anyone with that rattle? thank You!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
What year? On my 04 XT it's the plastic cover underneath the column that rattles like crazy. I've been thinking about putting some foam tape in between the column and the cover.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for basic question but are you sure it is not the FOB hitting the column? I put sticky foam around the area my FOB hits. Solved the problem.
Definitely not. I've held onto it to make sure. This is kind of a "solid" rattle (whatever that is!). Sounds like it is in front of me but not necessarily close.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the rattle! I'm not sure if the 02 Outback or 06 Forester rattled like this 2010 does. Perhaps I just didn't notice. Anyway, for comparison, I just took my 03 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab with 84k+ on it and it does not have one rattle, not one! I was pretty amazed and impressed. Now the rattle I'm hearing may be coming from the center of the dash. May be nothing more than an electric connection hitting the dash plastic somewhere. I'll look investigate further while installing the fog lamps and if I can't figure it out I'll take it to the dealer. Also periodically think I hear one in the passenger door pillar. I stopped a terrible rattle in the cargo area by taping some bubble rap in/around the ceiling compartment that houses rear center seat belt.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester X Automatic
2 Posts
Steering column rattle

didn't really find any relating to the rattle seeming to come from the steering column. Anyone with that rattle? thank You!
I had a similar rattle in my 04X. It was driving me crazy. I took off surround from the instrument panel. Stuffed it with cotton batting and now I can barely hear the turn signals. Still didn't fix the rattle.

I was pushing on all the areas around the dash in front of the driver. No luck. Then one day I pushed on the lower plastic housing under the steering column and it was loose. I tightened up the bolt on the right side and bingo - no more rattle!

Attachments

·
Registered
0409 XT,X
23 Posts
I just bought an Impreza GT and its steering column started rattling nearly one week after I purchased it. It only did this while driving, but If I pushed down at the top of the wheel it would stop. Then after a few weeks it stopped rattling. The only thing I did was readjust the steering wheel. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
30 Posts
ratchet - did you ever get that rattle noise to go away. I'm getting a rattle noise and had it in for service. They said a screw that holds the AC is missing. That fix helps but the steering column rattle is still there. It's like a metallic clinking sound that seems to come over small bumps or even when you press on the pedal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts