·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a power source for a dashcam.
2003 Forester

to supply power to a 12v-5v converter like this

or this
DC 12V to 5V Inverter Converter Micro Mini USB Hard Wired Car Power Charger for GPS Tablet Phone PDA DVR Recorder Camera ( 1M )

to avoid draping the dashcam power cord from up near the rearview mirror all the way to the cigar lighter socket (the dashcam cord contains its own voltage converter). Basically I want a USB source right up next to the rearview mirror, in the 'sunglasses drawer' thing.

Can I tap into the power for the switched courtesy lights built into the overhead console?

·
Super Moderator
17,710 Posts
There's power coming into the map light assembly on the 2003s, but it's always on, which would be a problem in your setup. Even shutting off the dashcam wouldn't help, because the power supply always consumes some power. See picture and discussion here:

Alternative would be to mount the power supply under the dash somewhere, connect it to a switched 12 volt source, and run the 5-volt wires up the A-pillar.

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
In my '13 I tapped the line for the powered rear view mirror I don't have.

And used double sided tape to keep the converter from rattling around.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I need a power source for a dashcam.
2003 Forester

to avoid draping the dashcam power cord from up near the rearview mirror all the way to the cigar lighter socket (the dashcam cord contains its own voltage converter). Basically I want a USB source right up next to the rearview mirror, in the 'sunglasses drawer' thing.

Can I tap into the power for the switched courtesy lights built into the overhead console?
The other option is to run the USB cable along the top trim, snake behind the A pillar trim, then route it to the internal fuse box with a fuse tap. At least that's my intention!

At the moment, I've moved the 12V plug under the centre armrest to below the in-car audio system and connected the dash cam inside the console. Still considering making a USB/AUX-in under the armrest, but I haven't been driving the Forester much lately...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts