Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Forester that I bought back in February. When I got it, it had the same starting issue that my Impreza had. Problem solved after the dealership put a shim in. Well at least I thought that was the case. On Halloween I had the EXACT same starting problem. Hasn't happened since. Being I had been in contact with Subaru I let them know. Fast forward to last week. Christmas Eve I got up and went to start it to go to work and it fired right up and within 5 seconds died. I gave it a minute and started it again and it stayed running. Every other time I started it that day it was fine. The same thing happened today. The only thing that has been different for those 2 days is the temps have been below zero here but only a degree or 2. I know it's probably just the colder temps and the crappy winter gas that Illinois has but what else could it be if it's not? I don't want to take it to the dealership and get the run around and waste my time like when I got it. And has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
If it starts then just dies but subsequently starts ok then could be the immobilizer system is not recognising the transponder in the key . When that happens then the car will start but then stop almost immediately . When it next happens remove the key and start again . The position of the key relative to the pick up aerial at the ignition is maybe not optimum in your case . If you have a spare key try using that for a while .

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it starts then just dies but subsequently starts ok then could be the immobilizer system is not recognising the transponder in the key . When that happens then the car will start but then stop almost immediately . When it next happens remove the key and start again . The position of the key relative to the pick up aerial at the ignition is maybe not optimum in your case . If you have a spare key try using that for a while .
This can be the case even if it only happens occasionally? I usually turn the key off take it out and try again.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like this is the case . When the dealer put a shim in then this was probably an effort to place the aerial closer to the key . I would get back to them . Ask them to replace the aerial coil for the immobilizer .

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be easier for me to figure out what to do than it would be to take it into the dealership. And I would never figure it out. I haven't been back there because of a lot of problems with them at the beginning of 2013 up until the shim kit was put in. I even went to a different dealership who is even less willing to work with owners. I have an email into Subaru and am just waiting on a response.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry you're having problems with the dealers there . In Scotland and England , Subaru dealerships win awards as being the best of all the different manufacturers for quality of service and satisfaction .

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have it set to go to the dealership on Tuesday next week. But I haven't had the issue since last week. I don't even know if I should take it in. I ended up emailing the guy at Subaru that helped me last year so hopefully he still works there and will get back to me quickly. The other guy hasn't been that on the ball about responding and there's no way I can sit on hold to talk to someone with my work schedule. I'd have to take a day off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts