Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few days an issue has surfaced with my 2000 Forester. I noticed it struggling a little bit to turn over a couple days ago, especially after sitting over night. It seemed to start right up once everything was warmed up.

Yesterday, though it got significantly worse when starting it before work. After sitting all night, it really struggled to turn over, but did start. I drove it for 15-20 minutes and stopped at a store. This time it barely turned over just enough to start up. I proceeded to work and tried starting it back up just to see if it would. It turned a couple times, but wouldn't start. After my 6 hour shift, I expected it still wouldn't start. It again struggled, but did actually start so I could get home. As soon as I got home I tried it again and it fired right up without issue.

I'm kinda thinking it might be the battery...maybe? This car is very new to me and I honestly don't know how old the battery is. It doesn't appear to be bulging. I haven't checked the cells for water.

If not that, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
What is your definition of "turn over" engine rotating or actually firing/running.

Did it "crank" very slowly? Or did it just not "start"

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Many auto parts stores will test batteries for free (and then you can often buy a new one right there if it is bad, and sometimes they will install it for free too!).

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up bringing it in to a shop just down the street. A quick test of the starter showed it was drawing too many amps and they said the battery was an older remanufactured one. I went ahead and got the started replaced and had them throw a new battery in.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I ended up bringing it in to a shop just down the street. A quick test of the starter showed it was drawing too many amps and they said the battery was an older remanufactured one. I went ahead and got the started replaced and had them throw a new battery in.
This is a new one on me; I've never heard of a remanufactured battery.

·
Just a member
03 XS AUTO
847 Posts
Interstate offers "blem" batteries that are second chance ones that had some kind of cosmetic defect or were returned for warranty purposes and were found to still be good. They call them "Econo" batteries. I have seen the same kind of thing in different stores before, but they weren't Interstate.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Interstate offers "blem" batteries that are second chance ones that had some kind of cosmetic defect or were returned for warranty purposes and were found to still be good. They call them "Econo" batteries. I have seen the same kind of thing in different stores before, but they weren't Interstate.
I've seen those, but they are should be called "used". It's the "remanufactured" I've never heard of.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Refurbished batteries have been around forever.

If remanufactured was the term used...that is why you've never heard if them, cause that is the wrong term.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Refurbished batteries have been around forever.

If remanufactured was the term used...that is why you've never heard if them, cause that is the wrong term.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What is a refurbished battery? Refurbished would indicate that it was old/on last legs and somehow has been "rehabilitated".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts