Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

We just got a 2019 Forester Limited, and one of the things that we liked about it was the option for remote start (Boston winters!).

We were looking at the different Starlink package options and we were wondering what's the advantage to buying more than 3 years? The car comes with three years of the free Safety package and buying three years of Security (which includes the remote start option) would be $75. We could also buy 4 to 7 years, but there doesn't seem to be a discount if you buy extra years ($50 per each additional year for Safety, $25 per each additional year for Security).

I could see a few possible reasons to buy more than 3 years:
  • Lock in current price in case prices go up
  • Convenience of not having to worry about renewals
  • Avoid higher renewal rates
On the last point, I called Subaru Starlink customer support and they seemed confused by my question, but they told me that the renewal costs are the same as a new subscription unless you go month to month - 3 years now would be $75, and 3 years at renewal time would be $225 (the difference is only because there's no free trial period). Obviously prices could go up (or down) in three years and I'd have to renew at whatever the current price is. Is that the only reason to buy more than 3 years?

Thanks for any ideas or clarification!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick clarification of my own. In another forum I found a link to renewal pricing for the 2019 Ascent, which I assume is the same for 2019 Forester. I can't post the link because I'm a new user, but you can find it on cars101.

Assuming the info in the link is correct, the renewal pricing for Starlink starts $75 higher. So buying 6 years when you buy the car would be $299, but buying 3 years followed by another 3 years would be $375. So a $75 difference, but perhaps worth paying that for the security of getting to test the system for 3 years before deciding if you want to pay $300.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts