Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a '19 and have used wifi to do all previous updates without problem. I have not tried this latest update, or even know if it impacts my '19, but we will see. I keep my wifi unless I am at home and downloading as when I let it run and was on hiway I got a few messages about "others" wanting to join my network. With wifi off, that is a non-issue.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
166 Posts
I have a '19 and have used wifi to do all previous updates without problem. I have not tried this latest update, or even know if it impacts my '19, but we will see. I keep my wifi unless I am at home and downloading as when I let it run and was on hiway I got a few messages about "others" wanting to join my network. With wifi off, that is a non-issue.
Just an FYI but I seem to remember reading that on the NAV units the Wi-Fi updates only update the system software and not the map data. Under Settings -> Navigation there are options for map region updates. You may want to check your map version and this section to confirm if your maps are up to date.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
Pitiful setup: crashes every 3-4% of download- have to click resume to get it going again. Crosschecked Xfinity speed-its 50+, so its on Subaru. Amateur day at Subaru.
Last week we returned from the western NC mountains going southeast and ran into rain that caused the eyesight system to repeatedly shut down in the hardest showers-just when you need it of course. The concept of relying on optics as the prime ( only ) sensor for safety must have received some review within Subaru, but what were they thinking?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
732 Posts
What sensor system would you suggest they employ and why? Frankly, I’m amazed at how much rain it can tolerate. In my experience, people have pulled off or have their emergency flashers on around the same time eyesight disables.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
What sensor system would you suggest they employ and why? Frankly, I’m amazed at how much rain it can tolerate. In my experience, people have pulled off or have their emergency flashers on around the same time eyesight disables.
Agreed... the basic rule for Eyesight is “If you can’t see (a person with average vision, obviously), then Eyesight can’t see.

And, if the driver can’t see, then it would seem obvious that the car should not be moving down the road...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
732 Posts
I know there are more advanced sensors out there, like LIDAR, but last I read they were cost prohibitive for something like a Forester. Maybe in a few years.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
Let’s also remember that Eyesight and similar systems are driver assistants, not driver substitutes.

While is may seem obvious to most, others don’t really seem to fully understand the difference between the two...

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
254 Posts
I'm looking at a CPO 2018 Limited with a package that includes the Harman Kardon (HK) audio with 440w equivalent HK subwoofer, 8 HK speakers.

1) I was expecting to see a subwoofer under the drivers seat as I saw on a 2017 Touring, but nothing. Is there another location to look?

2) It claims to have 3 years free map updates. One site suggested downloading and installing SubaruMapUpdates for updating the audio head SD card on your laptop. Has anyone done it successfully?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
I'm looking at a CPO 2018 Limited with a package that includes the Harman Kardon (HK) audio with 440w equivalent HK subwoofer, 8 HK speakers.

1) I was expecting to see a subwoofer under the drivers seat as I saw on a 2017 Touring, but nothing. Is there another location to look?

2) It claims to have 3 years free map updates. One site suggested downloading and installing SubaruMapUpdates for updating the audio head SD card on your laptop. Has anyone done it successfully?
1) I thought the subwoofer was located in the rear area (behind the rear seat, on the side).

2) Yes, on my wife’s 2015 Outback... it’s exactly the same procedure, AFAIK. No problems doing the updates, other that I have large hands and it’s a bit difficult for me to remove the SD card without using a pair of tweezers...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the wifi update was not doing the map. I did mine per instructions and even with my high speed internet (142) it still took almost 45 min to download, then another 30 to load onto thumb drive, and another 30 to load onto car. Phew!
All seems good as far as update, but I will have to drive it a while to see if it made any difference to the abysmal Tom Tom product sold by Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
254 Posts
1) I thought the subwoofer was located in the rear area (behind the rear seat, on the side).
Interesting! On a Touring we saw the sub under the drivers seat, but on a Limited with supposedly the same audio package (part of Package #23), it wasn't there. Can anyone else confirm? We'll be back to the dealer to look at the Forester and make a final decision on Tuesday, and I'd rather not make a total fool of myself....

2) Yes, on my wife’s 2015 Outback... it’s exactly the same procedure, AFAIK. No problems doing the updates, other that I have large hands and it’s a bit difficult for me to remove the SD card without using a pair of tweezers...
Thanks on the map update!

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
Tesla’s basic look ahead sensor is radar.
Apologize: Should have added that in the rain conditions where Eye-Sight suffered multiple shutdowns in heavy rain, we were driving southbound on I-95 ( south of where I-26 joins ) and the traffic was moderate. Rain was heavy at times yet not heavy enough so that vehicles were pulling over. Tesla does add optical and ultrasonic sensors to their system, and GM’s sensor suite is similar.
Now, I realize that I’m comparing autopiloting sensor suites to what might be termed an enhanced safety suite in the Forester. My point is that this enhanced safety suite goes AWOL in heavy rain in conditions where the interstate traffic continues on, and the limitations of a system based only on optical sensors become quite apparent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
I’ve seen the Eyesight auto-disable 3 times since 2015 in rain. Each time it was during a frog-choking downpour, and it was incredibly difficult to see any distance ahead. Frankly, I was surprised it hasn’t auto-disabled in lesser rainstorms. So, in that regard, my experience parallels what @boureesub stated. In fact, mine has more trouble remaining active when driving into an early sunrise or late sunset, when the glare is at a maximum.

Of course, I wouldn’t totally discount the possibility that your particular vehicle is experiencing some sort of malfunction in its Eyesight department.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
FF, you could be absolutely correct, as my eye-sight has performed normally of late, and I might be expecting too much? On the other hand, I live in South Florida and heavy rain is not an infrequent occurrence from June to November.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
It simply illustrates to me that if someone expects Eyesight to be able to see and react to anything that they themselves can’t see and react to, they’re fundamentally misunderstanding what the system is for.

The idea is not that Eyesight is better than a human in any way, aside from being harder to distract under normal conditions. If you expect your assistant to do your job, you’re a bad boss. If you expect Eyesight to drive your car, you’re a bad driver.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
Pitiful setup: crashes every 3-4% of download- have to click resume to get it going again. Crosschecked Xfinity speed-its 50+, so its on Subaru. Amateur day at Subaru.
Last week we returned from the western NC mountains going southeast and ran into rain that caused the eyesight system to repeatedly shut down in the hardest showers-just when you need it of course. The concept of relying on optics as the prime ( only ) sensor for safety must have received some review within Subaru, but what were they thinking?

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
129 Posts
Resolved. Turned out I had downloaded multiple copies of the map downloader. Unistalled all and started afresh. Aside from some less than clear process and very slow server, all came out fine. Except that an address in Lexington SC that we was not in the previous load is still not there. Development built 1.5 years ago and thankfully was on Google Maps when needed 8/23/20.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts