Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
8 Posts
I just checked for updates for the navigation in my 2020 Forester Touring and one was just posted. rel_uf.20.28.70 Dated 8-26-2020. Haven't installed it yet. Anyone know anything about it? I could not find a changelog.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited, Magnetite Gray Metallic
26 Posts
Just installed it on my car with the USB method. Took about 25 minutes with some parts where it seemed stuck on the way (Map Update at 100% for 10 minutes) but otherwise nothing crazy. Curious to see what’s been updated.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
543 Posts
Just received this email announcing a new map update. Our vehicle is a 2019 Forester. The installation went well, no problems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a new map update available for your vehicle you can download. By downloading and installing the new map update, you can get the most recent map in your vehicle.

To download the new map update, please click the button below or copy and paste the map update URL into your browser.
Go to Portal

Map Update URL: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal

Please refer the user manual at the above URL for instructions for downloading and installing the map update into your vehicle.

Thank you,
Subaru Map Update Portal Team.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've been using our Garmin and/or Android Auto for our trips as we do not like Subaru's TomTom navigation. I am still curious. Has any confirmed whether the Subaru map updates really give you a current map? From what I have briefly observed they seem to be relatively old.
I got the notification, too, and promptly used the Subaru Map Downloader tool to put it on a flash drive and update it. No issues. I'm now running Rel_UF.20.28.70 (coming from UA.19.42.70)

From what I can tell, there are no new features or GUI updates, but definitely bug fixes -- a big nagging one was fixed for me: Ever since I got my Samsung Galaxy S10, the spoken navigation guidance from Android Auto came through the head unit using the same audio channel as media, so if my radio was on volume 4, Android Auto was on volume 4, if radio was muted, Android Auto navigation prompts were muted. This updated finally fixed it and restored the discrete navigation audio channel. (I believe this was a problem unique to either certain Samsungs or to Android 10 in general, as my older Galaxy S8 running Android 9 never had this problem.)

Anyone have a change log they can post?

As for the Tom Tom maps, I believe it's been discussed elsewhere or even earlier in this old thread that the Tom Tom maps are updated once per year, and if you use the Map Downloader tool, they are updated along with the firmware updates, but if you use the over-the-air firmware updates over wi-fi, you have to update the maps separately from the Navigation Settings menu. I did not check if this update (UF.20.28.70) included a map update. I remember reading there is a way to decode the SW version to tell, but I quickly Googled it and could not find the details. I used Android Auto exclusively, so I really don't pay any attention to the Tom Tom version.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
@Gregger96 Thanks! I downloaded the new map update ... put it on a thumb drive .... but am a bit nervous to be the first to try to install it. Too hot to sit outside in car for up to an hour anyway. I'm hoping that my current address is finally in this update ... not that I need help finding my own home. We built a new house on a new street more than four years ago. The street and address appeared on Garmin, Google and Apple maps almost immediately. I was a bit shocked when I figured out Tom Tom, as of last update, still didn't have the new street or my address. But, then again, I knew before hand that Tom Tom sucks. And use Google maps and Wyze via Carplay, so it's not really an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
Ok, following y'all's lead, I installed the updates. Update installed 9 pieces, including general updates, XM and Map updates..

FYI ... the update took approximately 35 minutes. It also appeared to "stall" on the map update (update 8) when it reached 100%. The display kinda froze for about 10 minutes. Have no fear, it eventually clicked over.

But the real bummer? The darn Tom Tom Map update shows my road ... but doesn't name it or find it. Searching for my address returns nothing. I can't believe how sucky Tom Tom is! I hooked up my iPhone, and checked Apple Maps, Waze, Google Maps ... and yes, Carplay worked great and all the Carplay navigation apps know where I live .. as they all have for more than 3 years. Absolutely ridiculous that the Subaru TOM TOM map doesn't have it yet!

My car didn't catch fire either! I ran the a/c and sat in park for 45 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
732 Posts
But the real bummer? The darn Tom Tom Map update shows my road ... but doesn't name it or find it.
Nor will it for the foreseeable future. TomTom shows an incorrect speed limit for a state route near me. The route was 35mph eons before GPS, so TomTom got it wrong from the start. They use a flawed database with no apparent quality control. A friend's six year old development still shows as a single unnamed spur off the main road.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
198 Posts
I downloaded the update last night. Highly advise using the faster usb 3.0 drive. I tried to download it to a "normal" jump drive and it failed, twice. Luckily I had previously found a USB C (female) to Male USB adapter, (and it works for Android Auto as well), So I plugged a usb 3.1 (usb C) into my mac and it downloaded in 15 mins. (this is after trying to download for HOURS on the old drives). This afternoon I plugged it into my car and it updated the nav, saw something about xm radio, as stated above approx 35 mins (and that freeze really had me worried, but fortunately I was patient).

All seems to be OK so far. (always get a little nervous applying an update).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got the same email and updated ours yesterday. My wife drove it around yesterday afternoon, but said she didn't notice any changes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Edit - threads merged! There are now 3 different threads covering this topic. I know we're not supposed to cross-post, but until a moderator merges the thread, I'll post my findings here...

From what I can tell, there are no new features or GUI updates, but definitely bug fixes -- a big nagging one was fixed for me: Ever since I got my Samsung Galaxy S10, the spoken navigation guidance from Android Auto came through the head unit using the same audio channel as media, so if my radio was on volume 4, Android Auto was on volume 4, if radio was muted, Android Auto navigation prompts were muted. This update finally fixed it and restored the discrete navigation audio channel. (I believe this was a problem unique to either certain Samsungs or to Android 10 in general, as my older Galaxy S8 running Android 9 never had this problem.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Received the email from Subaru Map Update Portal on Aug 26 2020, so I started Map Downloader on my Windows 10 machine and the first thing it wanted to do was update Map Downloader. So I said yes. Updates for Map Downloader installed successfully.

When I try to log in, I get an error box with the words: "unauthorized access." So no logging in. Tried downloading and installing Map Downloader again. Still unauthorized. Anyone else having this difficulty? Had no problem using Map Downloader putting the file(s) on a 32 Gb thumb for the last Tom Tm update. Haven't changed ID nor passwrd since that last successful interaction. Filled out the "contact us" form on the Subaru website but don't expect much in reply.

Update: I contacted Subaru through the contact form on the website. They replied a few days later by e-mail and said they were waiting for an order of thumb drives to come in "ina few weeks.". When they get the drives, they'll send me the update. No specific response to the error box that popped up with "unauthorized access."

Second Update: Received the promised thumbdrive from SOA via UPS and installed the software and map updates yesterday (2020 Sept 18) in about 20 minutes. Also discovered that I can log in to the MySubaru account again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello
I have a 2020 Forester Touring & am trying to a map update.
The instructions say to put the update on a USB. But the system seems to want to pull the
update from the internet.
Any ideas how to pull from the USB?
Next, is the update using WiFi or my cell phone data?
I do not have AT & T so it seems that the update is using data rather than Wifi?
Should I leave the setting on auto update?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Walt

·
Registered
77 Posts
We disabled our Wifi setting, downloaded the update on our PC, installed on a USB flash drive, put it in the Forester, started the car, radio came on and after a few seconds it recognized the USB stick and started the update process. I was concerned that if we left our Wifi enabled, it would keep trying to update from that instead of our USB.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts