Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We used a Garmin Nuvi 650 on our old 2015 Forester as it did not have in-dash navigation. Our new 2019 Forester has in-dash navigation, that is based on TomTom. That makes our Garmin unit, more or less, obsolete.

The Garmin, as a free-standing GPS unit, had the capability to load custom POIs. So far, I have not seen any posts on how an in-dash navigation unit can import custom POIs. I started a discussion on this at the POI factory. I have not yet researched the TomTom sub-forum for in-dash navigation.

Any feedback on the capability the Forester's in-dash navigation to import custom POIs?

PS: For whatever reason, I was unable to embed the URLs to either the "POI Factory" or to the TomTom subforum "Built in car navigation".

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
245 Posts
The closest I could get the 2019 nav unit to store a custom POI is to enter it as a destination and start a route, then either complete it or cancel. The unit will store past destinations. If there’s some other way to store custom POIs, it’s eluding me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there’s some other way to store custom POIs, it’s eluding me.
There appears to be a big divide between in-dash GPS units and external GPS units that attach to a vehicle's front windshield or sit on the dash. We have a Garmin Nuvi 650 GPS which attaches to the front windshield. External GPS units have the capability to install, from a computer, POI files into them. Consequently, I was hoping that in-dash units would have the same capability. Apparently, at least for Subaru, the in-dash units (based on the lack of response to this question) don't. Thank for for responding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know if there is an SD card associated with the in_dash navigation unit?
I have received a couple of response about using an SD card. However, I think they are still (mistakenly) confusing a stand-alone GPS unit with an in-dash unit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
245 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an SD card associated with the in_dash navigation unit?
I have received a couple of response about using an SD card. However, I think they are still (mistakenly) confusing a stand-alone GPS unit with an in-dash unit.
There is a way to update the nav system maps, as well as other files, via files downloaded onto a USB drive and then plugged into the center cubby USB port. When the update is done, you remove the USB drive. There is no SD card involved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I have updated the maps using the USB port. However, what I am trying to do is to load a custom POI file. There does not appear to be a way to do this with the in-dash navigation. Do you know how a custom POI file can be loaded, assuming that it is even possible?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
69 Posts
Do you know how a custom POI file can be loaded, assuming that it is even possible?
I assume the POI's you are interested in are not in the navigation system? I've only had my Touring a week, and have only briefly played with the built-in nav (I use Android Auto / Google Map / Waze all the time).

I did find a posting via POI Factory that amazed me - someone was able to get POI's to load via USB into a 2016 GM system. I think Harmon supplied that nav, and they appear to be the Forester supplier also. It might be worth a try to look at the following and see if you can get a version of the steps to work on the Forester.

How to Load POIs into a 2016 GMC Sierra | POI Factory

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure if this helps but if you have a gps coordinate, you can type that in to at least navigate to your desired destination.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts